Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL3 Soloist bridge/trem question

Hi all,

As some of you might know I've got an sl3 that I'm trying to salvage. It has the original licensed floyd on it, but the post holes are too big and they come out by hand with little pressure, so I am going to replace the bridge setup. I had originally been thinking of just using a Floyd Original (Hotrod) to replace the trem and nut, but then started thinking of using something else. Is there a Kahler that would work? I know some of the old Charvels and JAcksons from the 80s had Kahlers that weren't the surface mount kind like on their webpage now, so was wondering if such a beast existed and would be worth replacing the ailing floyd clone?

Thanks!
    Some of my Guitars:
    1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
    2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
    3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S
    4) 2003 Jackson Soloist SL3 was trans red. WIP refinish.
    5) 2006 Jackson Dinky DXMG. Gray, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. OE EMG H/H

I believe the only kahler that will retrofit a floyd is the steeler. It uses the same spacing for the posts. I believe its hard to find. Are you saying that your post inserts are coming out of the body wood? Is it just a loose fit or are there cracks around the holes. If just a loose fit you can probably find some sort of glue or something to keep them from coming loose. Ive also sen a metal plate that goes from post to post and also screws into the body wood that helps keep all that stuff steady and where it belongs. I dont know how that would fit on your guitar. Something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Set-Ch...-/251780425038

Comment

Yes, the posts pull straight out of the body. There were no visible cracks in the finish or signs of repair.

I was told a Floyd Original series has slightly larger posts and should make up for the oversized holes without having to insert a dial and redrill the holes.
      Some of my Guitars:
      1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
      2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
      3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S
      4) 2003 Jackson Soloist SL3 was trans red. WIP refinish.
      5) 2006 Jackson Dinky DXMG. Gray, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. OE EMG H/H

Comment

Working...
      X