Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge swap advice

Hi guys,
    I'm doing some bridge swaps on my 90s-00s Japanese Kellys and Dinkys.

The bridges are mostly the JT580LP, which is like a Floyd Rose Pro but with OFR dimensions. Some like my old 1996 Jackson Kelly Standard are more like an OFR and have the saddle screws that protrude out the back. An Indian Dinky of mine is so bad it's single locking.

I'm getting new bridges mostly because the JT580LP won't flutter. To my knowledge Takeuchi brass sustain blocks are impossible to find. A block replacement would require reintonation. Might as well just get a whole new bridge.

A well documented problem I'm having is intonating a drop tuned OFR properly in an import Jackson route usually means the saddle screws stick too far out and prevent the bridge from being pulled up.

I have tried an OFR on my KV3 and it works fine, but it is standard tuned. My Kellys are drop tuned and will require the saddles to be moved back.

***Of the OFR, Schaller, and Gotoh ge1996t, which has the smallest dimensions as far as saddle screw length and is the best retrofit for the smaller recessed Jackson import route?***

Another problem I'm having is the OFR nuts are too tall for the import nut shelf. $10 and a trip to a machinist with a surface grinder lowers the nut (a file just takes off the finish). However, I'm wondering if Gotoh's R3 nut, which is shallower, would be a good alternative to an OFR nut.

As to why I don't just get a USA Jackson--I prefer bolt on necks and, to my knowledge, all Kellys with OFR hardware are thru necks.

Thanks.

My Kelly has a DK1 neck LOL!

Comment

Swapping out my jt580lp on my 93 Rhoads Pro Standard. I have the jt590 Schaller to drop in. Great guy and member helped get me set straight. I have longer lock bolts to fill in the 1/2 space from the smaller bolts the 590 comes with. Getting ready to install. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
      X