Playability question- import/USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playability question- import/USA

With a proper set-up do USA's really play that much better than the imports? I have a Indonesian SLX, Japanese Model 2 & 4, and a Mexican Demartini snakeskin. All play really amazing. Other than hardware what makes the USA's any better?

My Japanese Dinky does all the important things just as well as my USA Soloist.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Different hardware, which may or may not be important to you, different materials, etc.

Usually better QC.

But I agree, that I have some great import models that play about as well as my USA stuff. Actually, I can get lower buzz-free action on my DK2M than on my SL2H. However, as it stands now, if you want a soloist with sharkfins and an ebony fretboard then you're in USA territory.

Essentially all new USA stuff is custom select, so you have those options as well for about the same price as the USA Select series was new anyway.

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking. Aside from ebony, OFR, and Duncan pups. Actually most of my imports have SD's. The reason I asked is I am contemplating adding a USA to my collection after recently selling my model 5.

Comment

I have Indian, Indonesian, Japanese Jacksons. My former teacher had nothing but USA Jacksons. And I have to admit, once you pick one up, there's a difference. I can't even point to what it is. All I can say is, the USA Jacksons are worth the price and I would love to add one to my collection some day.

Comment

This question comes up again and again and there is always a struggle to articulate a precise answer. We are going to break this shit down the Axewielder way with a probability curve. This is the probability of how a J/C will sound and play on Day 1 (based on years and years of painstaking scientific analysis).

Day 1 Playability USA Import
            Dog 5% 15%
            Dime-A-Dozen 10% 25%
            Decent 25% 40%
            Damn Good! 45% 20%
            Dreamlike 15% 0%

Comment

Originally posted by outlawten5 View Post
              That's kind of what I was thinking. Aside from ebony, OFR, and Duncan pups. Actually most of my imports have SD's. The reason I asked is I am contemplating adding a USA to my collection after recently selling my model 5.
              Try a new SL2Q MAH Pro/ ebony, ofr, and Duncans..( and the vol. knob where it should be) If you want to spend two more grand on "sharkies" go for it....
              "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Working...
              X