SDX Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDX Quality

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a basswood guitar. I've kind of been stuck between the Jackson Adrian Smith SDX and EVH Bumblebee striped series. If I ditch the cool paintjob of the EVH, I think the SDX would work nicely. I've played the guitar and liked it. I'll probably swap in better pickups. I'm just wondering if the quality is there at such a low price point? Anythings I should be aware of? Just double checking before I buy the guitar. Thanx~

A lot of people love theirs. Truth be told, the post-Japanese imports have been hit or miss. Indonesia is capable of great things, but plenty of duds are getting through. It's well evident on these forums after 5-6 years of Mexico, Indo and Chinese production.

Weak pups, especially the singles are the most common complaint, but not everyone dislikes them.
    Best advice? Make sure there's a good return policy, but it seems you've found a good one.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I actually contemplated the same choice: EVH Bumblebee or AS SDX
      Eventually went for the SDX because I like a little more options (especially since I get less with the EVH at a higher price)

When I got mine, the barrel where the floyd arm inserts was pinched oval and the locking clamps didn't fit the nut, so that was a fail on the initial QC
      the powdercoat on the floyd doesn't seem be the best (at least not on the tremposts anyway, exposing the copper basecoat after a few turns setting up the floyd)
      the rest of the guitar was perfect, no misaligned neck (something that has been brought attention to a few times by buyers), no sharp fret ends, smooth tuners, even paintjob

Have to say, if I found one flaw I couldn't easily fix, it would have went straight back to the store, luck had it I had some spare floyd parts lying around and the nut was easily fixed with a file

Don't know if the recent ones have the trussrod wheel, if not, be prepared to remove the neck every time for trussrod adjustment
      (and if you want to have easy access to the electronics, you might want to take a piece out of the scratchplate under the fretboard

I was actually amazed by the output of the OEM humbucker, the sound was pretty ok, but JB-ish, had I been a fan of the JB, it would have been a keeper
      (Though, truth be told: an AS signature guitar demands a Super Distortion, so mine got one regardless)
      The last guitar I owned with (true) singles was in 1998, so I can't say I'm very knowledgeable on them, but for my purposes, they're good enough (better sounding than the J200r rails on my fusion)

Another pleasant surprise was the character of the sound, in my experience with guitars with a Basswood body, there's usually that hollow (for lack of a better description) character in the midrange
      My SDX has a lot less of that character, it appears to have a much more solid midrange (of course, wood being inconsistent material, I might just be lucky)
      Fun fact is in the aforementioned Super distortion and Fusion, I pulled the SD out of the basswood fusion because it simply didn't work, that combination was a hollow mess, not the case with the SDX

I can't comment on how it will hold up in the long run, I don't gig, so it never leaves the house and therefore never gets exposed to the rigors of the road
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

If you have your heart set on a basswood Strat body, also consider a used guitar from the Charvel Model Series, specifically the Model 1, 2, 3, and 4 (and all of their sub-variants), and some of the Charvel Toothpaste Series that are basswood-bodied. Japanese-made, inexpensive, and relatively common.

http://charvelusa.com/models.html

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...apan_1986-1991

Comment

Mine is from India, it still gets played nearly everyday with no issues showing yet. Yes the singles are weak but they have their uses. Trem takes abuse well & intonation has held well over all this time.

Absolutely love mine to death

Comment

I love my made in India 2012 AS SDX its a solid player and built like a tank.
            Fretwork is outstanding paintwork is flawless.
            I did replace the nut with an R3 because the original nut placed the two E strings too close to the edge of the fingerboard.
            The tuners are not great and I had one split open so I replaced that one with a spare Jackson tuner. The others held tune just fine tuning up to pitch but you have a locking nut so not a huge deal if another one breaks I'll replace them because I have a spare set.
            The trem claw screws on mine were bent and of a smaller diameter so I replaced them with two stock Fender trem screws and problem solved.
            Its a rock solid great playing guitar and stays in tune no matter how hard you dive bomb it.
            The singles are a standard Fender single IMO the Humbucker is a bit thin like a JB but thats not a bad thing really. I actually liked the pick ups when I got it.
            I did swap for two old Dimarzio SDS-1 singles and a late 70's Dimarzio Super D in the bridge.
            Added an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit with a modern PIO cap and vintage cloth covered wire.
            It rocks as hard as any USA Jackson and the neck feels just like the old ones.
            Last edited by straycat; 12-30-2017, 02:24 AM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hello, new guy here. I almost bought this one:
              https://reverb.com/item/1829647-jack...ic-pearl-white

All the reviews I found are positive and they sell for $560 - $599 everywhere else I looked.
              EDIT: There were 8 available for $369.99 shipped when I posted this and all were gone in a day or two.
              Last edited by jrnj; 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I have the Adrian Smith SDX and it sounds amazing. I bought it used for a good price knowing i planned on upgrading a few parts as money would allow. I had the frets leveled and polished and it brought the guitar to life. You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

Comment

Hey guys,new here too,greetings from Greece,Im interested in Adrian Smith sdx,but the one thing that holds from getting one is the heel truss rod issue...Jpanese or USA Charvels with the same "issue" have usually quartersawn maple necks so they stay more stable to adjustments,the sdx though is just ... maple,the official site of Jackson says that the necks are graphite reinforced but none of the sellers online has it in the guitars description except the sdxq trans green model...so the whites (maple/rosewood fingerboards ) have it??? If all the models have the inforcemnt then maybe have to make truss rod adjustments rarely,and unscrue the neck is kinda bummer...so is there any graphite in the necks???? thanks in advance.

Comment

Says graphite here.

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...ard-snow-white
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                    X