Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to identify Jackson DK2m serial number

Hey guys!

Yesterday I was close to buy my first Jackson, the owner claim that it is a Jackson Dkm2 made in Japan 1998.
    The guitar looks correct, the finish on the neck looks legit, white finish, 3 way switch, black hardware, black Duncan pickups.
    The only thing I don’t understand is the serial number – its 8 digits – isn’t that only for the India-made ones?

Serial number is 98288499

If it actually is one of the India-made ones, what are the quality on those?
    I have some pictures of it if needed. Thanks for any help guys.
    - Paul

DK2M's were never Indian and weren't released until 2006. A 7 digit 9828849 serial would be circa 2008, so it may be a misprinted serial.

If it looks like the typical Japanese DK2M with a maple board and black shark fins it's probably just a misprint. Post a pic if you're unsure.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I have to confess i have read enough of your answers on this forum and you seem to really know what you are talking about.
      Yes, it looks like a typical japanese DK2M (maple board, fins, finish, headstock) and the owner bought (?) it in late 08-09'.
      It just might be a misprinted serial number.

I will buy the thing if it plays as good as it looks. Thanks a lot Mudlark.

-Paul

Comment

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I'd actually be curious to see a photo of the neck plate to show the serial number. Besides the possibility of a misprinted serial number, another slim possibility is that the wrong neck plate was affixed to that DK2M.

Comment

Just a little update if anyone is interessted:

I drove to the guy who had the guitar up for sale and checked it out. Turns out he wrote down the wrong serial number (doubled one of the 8's), and sent me a crappy photo of the neck so it was impossible to read the number.
            I checked the whole guitar, and im 100% confident that this is the real thing.
            Of course i bought it, and its sounds and plays amazing - it seems to be a really really good guitar for the price i paid.

-Paul

Comment

Congratulations! We would love to see photos!

Comment

I have to admit now that the "i-got-a-new-toy-adrenaline" has settled, this guitar really surprised me. I have a lot of guitars in the same pricerange as this one, but none of them are close to the feel and sounds this thing has given me.

I'll take some pictures of it and post it here

Comment

And here it is: (Previous owner replaced the knobs, looks awful)

Comment

Some years ago I played exactly that model in the stores a couple of times, and more than once I've been close to purchase it;
                    (the reason I didn't is that...I didn't really need another guitar at all costs )
                    Very comfortable neck to me.
                    Here you can find them 2nd hand at a very reasonable price, it's been one of the best value for the money guitar that I have tried.

Hilsener til vakre Norge

Comment

Excellent!

Do you plan on getting some black dome knobs?

Comment

Grazie!
                        I played one in the local store just after they came out and fell in love with it, but i didnt have the money to buy it when i was 13/14 yrs old.
                        Finally i got this one, and at more than reasonable price. I payed what the owner asked for, he was a student in desperate need of money and i could tell he hated that he had to sell it

Yes, im gonna change the knobs on it, i just have to find a place were they are available to buy. New knobs and a new set of 9's and im good to go.

All the best.
                        Last edited by Jaredio; 11-16-2017, 03:18 AM.

Comment

It was a sad day in guitarland when these were ended, phenomenal looking & playing axe.

Comment

nice guitar!
                            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Very nice!! I like them as well and I don`t normally care for 25.5" scale guitars but you know, they look awesome and play and look like a Jackson!!

Comment

Working...
                              X