can't keep jackson dk2 in tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't keep jackson dk2 in tune

it has been a couple of weeks now and i still can't keep the jackson in tune. the whammy bar raises or lowers the tuning depending upon whether you go up or down. i've stretched the strings over that period and have tightened down the nut locks. then the whammy bar takes it out of tune and i have to undo the nut locks and retune. it goes so far out that the fine tuners are useless. i've got the bridge parallel to the body so i think i'll have to purchase another spring and add it to the three others. i've done strat whammy setups for years but this is my first floyd rose.

simply wonderful guitar to play until i hit the whammy.

Check out my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum https://muscmp.wordpress.com/

I don't have an answer, but I'm subbing in case someone gives u an answer for research.
    Btw, what strings are u using? I had DR Strings and they were the WORST they wouldn't intonate correctly along the 5th fret. Just putting it out there in case that might help.
    What gauge and tuning are u using? I'm not sure what adding an extra spring helps

BUT
    It seems your bridge isn't parallel but SLIGHTLY dipping below.. so that might be an issue

Someone please advise

Comment

Bridge angle won't really affect the tuning stability. What is the condition of the knife edges?

Comment

probably worth checking the floyd posts as well for any pits/damage

Comment

Get stiffer springs and/or put them parallel so you have equal tension across the three springs.

Also, only tune up to pitch. I don't usually clamp my lock nut unless I'm gigging... a Floyded guitar will need to be retuned occasionally, just like any guitar.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

As stated above, check the posts and the knife edges. My money is on you don't have the trem springs adjusted quite right for the balance that's needed, and it's not returning to zero. When you use the Floyd, do it go sharp or flat? Which way does it go out of tune?

Comment

I'm gonna say it looks like it needs a whole setup. I doubt it's intonated with where the saddles are sitting and it looks like the E is lower than the e.

You shouldn't need more than 3 springs for it to function properly unless you're using like 10-52s in standard tuning.

Start over from step one, adjust string height, bring your claw in slightly, intonate and try again. With fresh strings.

While you have it apart, as suggested, check over all parts to make sure they're functioning properly.
              Last edited by TKEblue; 06-15-2017, 07:15 AM.
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

I have a DK2 with the same trem, and was having issues like you are. I agree with some of the posts above - knife edges and posts. Installing genuine Floyd Rose posts fixed mine a treat. I had to remove the bushings and drill the holes out a little bigger if I remember rightly, but worth doing.

Also check the condition of the lock blocks in the trem as you may have some string slipping there. Learned that by experience, too.
                A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                  I'm gonna say it looks like it needs a whole setup. I doubt it's intonated with where the saddles are sitting and it looks like the E is lower than the e.
                  methinks somebody with zero knowledge worked on this guitar (and maybe, but hopefully not, f'ed something up)
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

great, thanks for the responses. i'm using new SIT 9 strings.

i'll start from scratch and also move the springs and bring the screws in more. thanks again.

play music!

Comment

Make sure the two Floyd pivot posts aren't moving in the body; take the trem off and see if they rock back and forth. If they do, then wrap some teflon plumber's tape around the threads and put them back in.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Make sure the two Floyd pivot posts aren't moving in the body; take the trem off and see if they rock back and forth. If they do, then wrap some teflon plumber's tape around the threads and put them back in.
                        good info. thanks,

Comment

No prob. They do wobble around sometimes.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There's always the possibility that someone adjusted string height with full tension on the strings, if that happens too much the knife edges get worn away from the tension against the posts and it could go out of tune.

Comment

Working...
                            X