Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me identify this Jackson Kelly - JS30T or KE3 or MUTT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me identify this Jackson Kelly - JS30T or KE3 or MUTT?

Hi! could someone help me identify this guitar. It is being sold to me and i'm a bit skeptical since i don't have a good idea of what the guitar really is and what's it's worth?
    I have the images here for viewing. Thank you all!

https://imgur.com/a/iyGlg

Looks like a ke3 from the mid-late 2000's to me. Value depends on location and condition of the guitar, etc

Comment

I concur that it's a KE3. I've owned two of them, one from the mid-1990s and a KE3/DK2S "factory mutt" from 2009 (2009 one here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/150...ke-my-old-one)). Both came with Jackson-branded original hardshell SKB cases.

Mudlark is the living resource on Jackson imports and will tell you the year of manufacture based on the serial number. It's certainly post-2006, which was when Jackson imports switched from chrome to black hardware, and switched from Duncan Designed pickups to real Seymour Duncan pickups. Stamps in the neck pocket and on the neck heel will tell you the precise day/month/year of manufacture of both the body and neck, as seen here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/150...=1#post1650071.

Value: Based on your photos, that KE3 looks to be in very good condition, possibly EXCELLENT condition. Does it come with a case? A case would be a huge bonus since it's an odd-shaped guitar, for which cases are not readily available. Depending on how badly you want the guitar, try and get it for USD$300 or less. USD$200 or under would be considered a great deal. (Keep in mind that I am a bargain hunter so I tend to not be "generous" with pricing, and your mileage may vary.) Japanese Jackson imports are great guitars and deserve to fetch higher prices, but guitars from this era are plentiful and the current resale market is not very strong, resulting in many available bargains for 2000s-era Japanese Jacksons. Good luck.
      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 06-12-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Thank you, that helps a lot - it's in very good condition - not much fret wear - only a little peeled paint to top corner of the body and minor surface scratches, the pickups are still great - no feedback - fret buzz though (could be just the set-up) but all in all still a very solid piece - i was skeptical to buy it because it was offered to me for $150.00 including the hardshell case that is also in good condition. I will check neck pocket. YOUR INFO IS AWESOME!!!

Comment

For $150 (assuming American currency), buy it. You're basically getting a "free guitar" for the retail price of the two Seymour Duncan humbuckers that come installed in the guitar.

Comment

Thank you! I will definitely buy - your info on the guitar was essential. Kudos!

Comment

KE3 with a case for $150 is a great deal even in today's market. In my experience, since Kelly's aren't as common, theyre a little more valuable. Also the case for these are actually a big deal, I would say $300-350 even in today's brutal market.
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

The serial indicates 2007-8, though those numbers can be tricky.

As far as I'm concerned, a 2006-11 MIJ Pro series bolt on with a hard case is worth $4-500 used, but you'll be lucky getting $400 in todays flooded market with them hovering around $275-350 if you're patient. It's not unheard of to see them $200 or less.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thank you all for all your info and detailed knowledge about the guitar - i was able to purchase it today $150.00 including hardshell case. I really feel lucky having you guys giving vital info on the guitar - as i said the owner thought it was a Jackson Kelly JS30T. So i guess he was pricing it with what he saw online. Sometimes being patient pays off.

Comment

Working...
                  X