Hi all and first question! Jackson JDR-94 concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all and first question! Jackson JDR-94 concept

Hi I've been reading up a bit since I've joined. Now I can post thanks to Mudlark and Toejam!

I currently have two MIJ jacksons that I've owned since the 90s. I got my JRR-94 for my 16th b day when they were in stores. Then I picked up a 1990 Fusion Pro around '98. I will do a separate post about both of those guitars after I take some better photos.

I've always loved the early 90s MIJs and I wanted a 25.5 scale that I could play sitting (the JRR has the output jack in a weird spot). I always wanted a reverse Dinky so I found a used JDR at guitar center. I know these are great guitars since I've played a few plus every time I pick up my V concept I'm always surprised at the quality for such a budget guitar.

I found the JDR at GC used but I have to wait until their used hold is lifted before they can ship it to me. The condition is a bit rough and it's missing the trem arm and socket. I also want to change the strat style knobs to dome knobs.

Will these parts do the trick?

trem arm:
    https://www.allparts.com/BP-1000-003...se_p_1030.html

Knobs:
    https://www.allparts.com/MK-0910-003...bs_p_2287.html

Some pics:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...psnku5gssj.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...psb3lgducr.jpg
    Last edited by Decoy205; 03-22-2017, 06:38 AM.

I can only say both my USA and Japanese Jacksons have those 6mm hole knobs on them, so on that basis you should be good.

You could probably measure the hole size of the current knob to see if it's 6mm.

Someone else will help with the arm...I don't use tremolos.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      I can only say both my USA and Japanese Jacksons have those 6mm hole knobs on them, so on that basis you should be good.

You could probably measure the hole size of the current knob to see if it's 6mm.

Someone else will help with the arm...I don't use tremolos.
      Thanks Mudlark! I'm pretty sure they are correct as well. The trem should work. It's not a huge risk if it doesn't.

I also got an update on the JDR. They took the hold off so it should be shipping tomorrow. Pretty stoked!

Comment

Nice. There's always the return option if not satisfied.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

JDR will be out for delivery tomorrow.

Comment

The concept arrived yesterday. There's a chip on the headstock tip I wasn't really aware of but no biggie. I'm pretty sure it has a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge and some unknown aftermarket pickup in the middle. Badly needs a string change. There's also a weird film over most of the fret board. It may just be residue from some type of conditioner. This weekend I'll get it all cleaned up.

Played it for a few and it sounds good! I got a bit of a sitar like sound from the open E and B strings not sure what that is. Still pretty happy for $175.

Comment

Comment

Good shape for the age. I'd guess there may be some wear at the nut or saddle causing the E/B string issue unless it's a high fret. New strings and a setup may cure it if you're lucky.

That board is gross. My guitars get all the moisture they need from the humidity levels in my room. I found when I used conditioners years ago it only attracted dust.

I'd wipe that down with warm water on damp rag and repeat if necessary...then leave it alone if your room humidity is in the normal range. That's just me.
                My boards never get dirty as I compulsively keep my hands clean before playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  Good shape for the age. I'd guess there may be some wear at the nut or saddle causing the E/B string issue unless it's a high fret. New strings and a setup may cure it if you're lucky.

That board is gross. My guitars get all the moisture they need from the humidity levels in my room. I found when I used conditioners years ago it only attracted dust.

I'd wipe that down with warm water on damp rag and repeat if necessary...then leave it alone if your room humidity is in the normal range. That's just me.
                  My boards never get dirty as I compulsively keep my hands clean before playing.
                  I think it my be fretting out at the first fret or it's something to do with the nut. I wish it was humid enough in the winter here for guitars but the dry steam heat in my house dries the crap out of em. Agreed on the board. It feels almost waxy. I plan to do a thorough cleanup. All my boards are nice and clean. So I know how you feel! The trem arm fit perfectly so that's on there now.

The good news is it plays and sounds great! A little buzzing from the current set up but I'll be changing everything any way so I'll have to do a set up anyways. The X2N sounds good! I have to put it through my 5150 but through my amp sims it sounds massive. The quality is right there with my other jacksons.

Comment

Finally got a chance to work on it last night. Love this thing.

cleaned and oiled the board
                    changed the knobs
                    added trem socket
                    restrung with 11s and downtuned to drop c

truss rod is good just need to set action and intonation.

Comment

I also prefer the knurled dome knobs you added. That fretboard is so dark and rich after you oiled it. Great job, killer guitar, and really nice photographs as always! For $175, plus the cost of the parts, I think you did very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                        I also prefer the knurled dome knobs you added. That fretboard is so dark and rich after you oiled it. Great job, killer guitar, and really nice photographs as always! For $175, plus the cost of the parts, I think you did very well.
                        Thanks man! Normally I'm a "stock look" person but those knobs just don't look right on Jacksons to me. Ha. I'm pretty pleased and agree there is no better bargain than these early MIJs! I think Im all into this thing for $209? What's cool about the knobs is that they are also made in Japan.

The X2N sounds pretty sweet too so I'm happy with that. I didn't pull the middle pickup so I have no idea what it is but I'm not crazy about the tone so I will most likely change that at some point. For now it's about the bridge. I bought this as a chug machine!

Comment

Looks great! I put an X2N in an old Kramer I had, and it was so massive that I needed to turn down the gain on my amp a little.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Joe! Ha yeah I think it's drastically hotter than the middle and neck. I'm definitely curious about how it sounds through my 4x12 rig.

Comment

I'm sure it'll sound huge! I played mine through an old 2x12 stereo chorus Marshall Valvestate.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X