MIJ King V W/Scalloped Feretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIJ King V W/Scalloped Feretboard?

I was just at a local used music store and found a Jackson King V and picked it up to look at it. It says professional on the headstock like my Dinky MIJ. The serial number is 303698. Did Jackson make guitars with full scalloped fretboards? It is a rosewood fretboard 22 frets bolt on and felt thin like my Dinky. Its in pretty good shape and they are asking $399 for it. It's dark blue, one volume knob, two humbuckers, a 3 way Les Paul style pickup selector and a small coil tap toggle betwixed them. It has a Licensed Floyed trem. Did someone scallop this thing or what?
    `93 Jackson Dinky Professional Rev (MIJ)
    2015 Jackson JS32 DKA-M Dinky Arched Top
    2010 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White (Aging color/RR clone)

The scalloping is aftermarket. I can't think of any import, let alone any import KV, that came with full scalloped boards. Is the scalloping done cleanly? Dots or sharkfins? Scalloping might affect the dots and would definitely wreck sharkfins.

USD$399 is a bit steep in my opinion. I'd pay USD$300 for an unmolested one, maybe USD$250 maximum for scalloping and the mini-switch installed if they were done cleanly...

Pics? My guess is something similar to this King V Std but with scalloped fretboard and mini-switch installed between the volume and 3-way toggle:

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-21-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Either a King V Standard or old KV2 ( yes, the original KV2 was an import bolt-on with 22 frets). And the scallops are definitely aftermarket.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Assuming the serial is original to the guitar, it's a 1993.
        That would suggest it's the King V Standard with some owner modifications...scalloping/extra toggle.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The neck has dots... the scallops don't look bad at all... the pickups are different than that white KV. The bridge is black and white and the neck looks like a normal humbucker. I will try to get pics tomorrow if I am down there.

Comment

The white KV Standard posted doesn't have the original Jackson pups.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I am a fan of scalloped boards. But I am hesitant to buy a used one because I don't trust that the work was done properly. And then, not just was it done properly, but is it the kind of scallop I like vs the ones I don't like.
              I've seen some horrible hatchet jobs.

I know there were no imports with the scallops, but were there even any USA models that were scalloped?
              Mine was done by the factory, but it was ordered that way.

Comment

Here it is....I played it through a Fender Champion 100 and this guitar plays outstandingly easy and sounds even better!! They have it listed for $399 with original hardshell case.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. They confirm several things we suspected before:

King V Std. Good that we identified the model correctly.

Good that we guessed the mini-switch was aftermarket. Seems odd that it isn't exactly in between the volume knob and the 3-way toggle, but oh well, more proof that it wasn't stock.

My guess is the bridge pickup was swapped. No idea what it is unless somebody lifts the pickup and looks for any identification labels/marks underneath.

You're right, the scalloping doesn't look too bad from what we can see in the pics. I still feel $399 is too high, unless you really REALLY WANT the guitar.

The bridge is a Jackson JT580, made by Takeuchi. An Original Floyd Rose will be compatible, if you wish to swap out the stock trem.

Comment

Looks good. The scalloping looks like good work from the pics. It's cool that it comes with the case but I'd still try and get more off the price as well since it is modded. I have a soft spot for the old MIJs.

Comment

It plays so smooth for being scalloped but I don't know... $400 is a bit much I think. Plus I am still doing the finish on my Dinky. It's already going to shred with the TB4 in the bridge.

Comment

Offer them USD$250 and prepare to walk away if they disagree. None of those modifications (scalloping, mini-switch, and even the bridge pickup swap) really "add value" over the stock version of the King V Std.

I've been watching your Dinky refinish project closely!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          Offer them USD$250 and prepare to walk away if they disagree. None of those modifications (scalloping, mini-switch, and even the bridge pickup swap) really "add value" over the stock version of the King V Std.

I've been watching your Dinky refinish project closely!
                          Yeah, it's slow going. Two more days and I am going to color wet sand then 3 coats of clear. I am getting anxious!!

Comment

Working...
                          X