Looking for info on DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on DK2

A buddy of mine is wanting to get his feet wet with Jackson.
    He is looking at this DK2 and I have limited knowledge of the import models.
    https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...000833786.html
    SN 9693714
    I think it is a 2002 maybe? Are these decent?
    Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

Mudlark is our resident expert on serial numbers (especially imports) but you're already way ahead of the game by not assuming the rookie mistake of the serial number starting with 96 means it's from 1996

This one is from earlier in the decade due to the presence of chrome hardware and Duncan Designed pickups. Later in the decade came black hardware and Seymour Duncan pickups.

In my personal opinion and experience, USD$490 is on the high side for 2000s-decade Japanese Jacksons. The general threshold for a "good deal" is USD$300 and ideally with a hardshell case, but keep in mind this is just an arbitrary "bargain hunter's threshold" and other people may have no problem spending more.

This guitar was tuned professionally to have frets properly set overcoming factory "shortcomings" -- the fret were repositioned, individually to afford a flat plant playing surface.
    What on earth is this supposed to mean? Not only were the frets ripped out, but they were repositioned? Never heard of this procedure before, but if it exists, I imagine it would be for intonation issues. The part about "flat plant playing surface" (not that it makes much sense) suggests a fret levelling or a refret, but not a fret REPOSITIONING.

Some players don't mind the JT580LP trem but others do. It's supposed to be a direct swap for an OFR (http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp) but lepard needed to dremel the route a bit (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/151...ce-of-JT-580LP).

Otherwise, these 2000s-decade Japanese Jacksons were pretty good, even great. They make up the bread and butter of the deals I find and share in the http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/16-E-fraid-of-E-bay subforum when they're USD$300 or less.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 02-17-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      you're already way ahead of the game by not assuming the rookie mistake of the serial number starting with 96 means it's from 1996
      He did one better than that by getting the year correct, too.
      That is, based on numbers on my list that have been confirmed by their date stamps it's a 2002, though the only 100% guarantee is that it's early-2000's-2005.

Crimson Swirl finish, not Wild Red.
      That's certainly high considering what they can be had for in the US. Half that price isn't uncommon if you look around and take your time.

It has the potential to be a $500 guitar, though, no doubt. My MIJ does everything as well as my USA, but mine doesn't have a Floyd...it's a TOM.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
        It is supposedly mint and owned by someone who wanted to play guitar but gave up. Apparently the frets were only leveled. Probably just a high fret, it's pretty obvious the seller isn't to sure but he did take it to a decent luthier.
        He struck a deal south of 300 so all is good.
        My friend is looking for a soloist and is tired of the les paul so grabbing this one while he looks for a one is a smart move.

Comment

Good choice by your friend, especially since he can get it below USD$300. MUCH better price, and easy to recoup every penny if/when he falls in love with a Soloist and wants to sell this DK2.

Comment

Did you see this early 2000's MIJ SL4? It's a 2001ish, not '03 as stated.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...979566706.html
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              Did you see this early 2000's MIJ SL4? It's a 2001ish, not '03 as stated.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...979566706.html
              What do you figure that is worth?

Comment

USD$450 seems fine for a neckthru (just my personal taste and willingness to spend a bit more for a neckthru) but try to talk him down. I recently sold my 2016 Indonesian SL3X for USD$420 and even then I feel like the buyer got a good deal.

The SL4 is unique in that it only has 22 frets, which could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on who you are.

Comment

The nut is missing a clamp and there appears to be some marks on the body edges, rear neck and headstock (up near the headstock on the rear shot) and headstock tip, but it may just be reflections.

I personally set the median price for those 2000's MIJ Pro neck thrus at $5-700 with case depending on condition.

Unless this guitar is in better shape than it appears, I wouldn't go over $400, and I'd only go $400 if I played it first and it passed my test. To be honest, I never looked closely the first time. I'd get better pics on that one.

That said, being a MIJ neck thru with real Duncans, even $450 is far from a bad deal if the guitar can live up to it's potential...even with the scuffs.
                  Last edited by Mudlark; 02-17-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

So he got the guitar and is very happy with it. Looks like it really was re-fretted from what I am told. Not sure why but he says it is great!
                    Thanks for all the info, one more Jackson player out there now!

Comment

Goooood... converting the masses to our J/C cult one at a time... mwahaha

Wait, so he got the DK2 or the SL4? Or better yet, both? My guess is the DK2 since you mentioned your friend confirmed the refretting?

Comment

Working...
                      X