Impending NGD: DK2RMG-M!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impending NGD: DK2RMG-M!

Not one to dwell on negatives (the Dinky Rev Pro debacle) I've turned my attention to far more productive and positive endeavors and done what any sane guitarist would do: Bought another Dinky.

This one should scratch several itches- of course one being my lust for reverse head stock-ed, maple boarded shredders. The other is a more recent itch, festering ever since I got back from the G4 Experience. Both Vai and Satch used Ibbys equipped with on board sustainers. I was digging some of the things that they did with them and decided I'd have to try one out soon. Problem was, I didn't have a guitar truly suited for a Sustainer. Then when it became apparent that me and the Dinky Rev Pro weren't gonna bond, I saw the DK2RMG-M and a light bulb went on.

Months ago, I was digging my Pro Series DK2M Limited Run Yellow Tiger despite the less than stellar fret ends and the for-shit FRT-02000. The DK2RMG-M has numerous appealing similarities but also has EMGs which I don't care for. BUT those EMG's require a battery compartment. A compartment that might be useful for housing a battery for a sustainer system. See where this is going?

So yeah, the EMGs are going bye-bye and a TB-4 or Perpetual Burn is going in the bridge and a Fernendez Sustain unit is going in the neck slot. The stock FRT-02000 will also be going, along with the blade switch. In their places, a proper OFR with a fat brass block and a toggle switch and mini toggle for the Sustainer will go.

Naturally, this will all be predicated on whether or not it has the initial mojo. If this Dinky suffers from the same issue that the Tiger DK2M one did, it'll be right back on the block for a flip.

DK2RMG.jpg
    Last edited by vector; 08-31-2016, 02:17 PM.

Staying tuned here and on Facebook for the progress of this one!

Comment

Well, she arrived and I unboxed her, tuned her up and gave her a decent trial run. Happy to report that the fret issues (the ends protruding and not fully dressed- sharp edges) I encountered on the Pro DK2M Yellow Tiger are not evident on this one. Feels pretty good. Needs intonating and the FRT 02000 has gotta fucking go. Outside of that, she works as a solid platform for my proposed project- pulling the EMG's, replacing with a either JB or Perpetual Burn and a Fernandes sustainer. I'll be replacing the blade switch with a toggle as well. The trick will be to disguise the fact that I did so. Hoping to find some nail polish that comes close to the metallic black (more of a dark gray IMHO) that I can spot touch where I plug the blade switch slot.

Comment

I have zero problems with the Korean "thousand series" Floyds on my two So-Cals, but then again I'm not a heavy whammy bar user.

Can you honestly tell the difference? Because the Thousand Series is identical in metal composition and specifications to the German OFR, just made in Korea.

Looking forward to pics and updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          I have zero problems with the Korean "thousand series" Floyds on my two So-Cals, but then again I'm not a heavy whammy bar user.

Can you honestly tell the difference? Because the Thousand Series is identical in metal composition and specifications to the German OFR, just made in Korea.
          Funny you should ask that- as I put the DK2 thru it's initial paces, the first thing I checked was the Floyd. It works, just not as responsive as my German made OFR's. The trem movement is more halting and clunky- less smooth. The biggest and most telling litmus is the flutter test. I have yet to play a MIK FRT-02000 that flutters like the OFR and the Schaller lic'd. This one was no exception. It fluttered but only in the most minute and truncated way. Pitiful really. The fine tuners are the next telltale giveaway. Sure enough, while they did actually screw all the way down and up (unlike the half dozen or so I've played in the past) they were, at times, hard to turn.

In the end, you get what you pay for IMHO. If the FRT-02000 works for you, then good on ya! In my experience, for having the same materials and specs, it's a poor substitute for the real deal. Chalk it up to Korean manufacturing or whatever, it ain't as good as an OFR for what I use them for.

Comment

Ah, the parts are here!
            New OFR, new 32mm brass block, new JB for the bridge position, new CTS 500K pot and best of all- new Fernandes Sustainer set!!

Comment

Nice looking guitar! Love reverse headstock. Congratz!
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

It's taking shape!

Do you have any problems with your switch tip falling off? On my 2016 Jackson import, I try to firmly press it down and it make it difficult to select pickup positions 1 and 5. Forcing the switch into positions 1 and 5 pushes the switch tip up and it falls to the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                  It's taking shape!

Do you have any problems with your switch tip falling off? On my 2016 Jackson import, I try to firmly press it down and it make it difficult to select pickup positions 1 and 5. Forcing the switch into positions 1 and 5 pushes the switch tip up and it falls to the floor.
                  No problem with the switch tip on this end. Yours sounds like it's either recessed too far into the cavity or the metal portion of the blade under the tip is unusually short.

Comment

Working...
                  X