Tried out a 400 buck JS32RM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried out a 400 buck JS32RM

Being a visually inclined individual, more easily influenced by the aesthetics of a guitar than most, I could NOT help but be enamored with the looks of this Spec. Edition JS32RM Rhoads. So, I tried one out at a nearby GC.

Let's just say I know why it's list was $399.00 Damned shame really, as it features almost every type of option I'd want. The only item missing was a toggle switch in place of the blade. Reversed head stock, 24 jumbo frets, maple board, 2 H, floating Floyd and a badass red and black finish. I'd have wet myself to have had access to one of these in my fledgling years.

The problem, as one might imagine, is the quality of the components used and that of the workmanship. Again, 399.00 list. Need I say more? However, it does prompt me to want order a USA Select or a CS of it. Not likely gonna happen as I don't have another 2- something year's worth of patience but it's a nice thought.

So, anyone have a lower end Jackson that you'd like to see done as a USA Select or Custom?

Another bittin by the RR bug
    >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
      So, anyone have a lower end Jackson that you'd like to see done as a USA Select or Custom?
      Not really. I wish they allowed 7 string custom select orders though.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the review. This is why I don't buy new guitars at retail. USD$400 is more than plenty to score you a great used Japanese guitar like a Charvel Model Series, Jackson Pro Series, or Ibanez if you're patient.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Thanks for the review. This is why I don't buy new guitars at retail. USD$400 is more than plenty to score you a great used Japanese guitar like a Charvel Model Series, Jackson Pro Series, or Ibanez if you're patient.
          +1! You got to be patient but sometimes, very interesting deals will show up in the 300$ and lower... All the latest sub 1000$ Jackson I have tried had frets that would stick out on the side of the neck.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
            Another bittin by the RR bug
            Always been a fan of RR's actually- just never got along with them in some way or another. These 3 were the closest to being keepers: The CS XTRR was foolishly let go because I couldn't stand the pickups but didn't want to fuss with changing them. The RR1 Bengal went because I needed/wanted two additional frets. Again, minor in consideration for how cool it sounded and looked but enough to eventually drive a wedge between. The last one was a FeeBay score- a bolt on version that I totally overhauled. I gutted, stripped, painted and re fitted all new equipment- OFR, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, Mighty mite neck, CTS pot, Switchcraft switch, Schaller strap locks. Played and sounded bad ass but again, wanted 24 frets.

DSCN0748.jpg
            Last edited by vector; 08-16-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

OMG that's amazing.... WTF? You sold it because you didn't like the pickups and couldn't be bothered changing them?

You sir are certifiably insane. Damn. That's freaking awesome.

Always been a fan of RR's actually- just never got along with them in some way or another. These 3 were the closest to being keepers: The CS XTRR was foolishly let go because I couldn't stand the pickups but didn't want to fuss with changing them.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                OMG that's amazing.... WTF? You sold it because you didn't like the pickups and couldn't be bothered changing them?

To be fair, back during the time I owned that, I did not know how to change p'ups much less understand how feasible and common changes like that are. If I think about how many guitars I've let go because I didn't like and couldn't change p'ups, it boggles my mind.

Comment

Wow, that Bengal's insane. Really all 3 of them. Too many guitars, too little time...

Comment

I picked up a JS32RT in trans black for $100 used. It was mint, still had plastic on it.
                    It had a horrible setup on it and it appears the previous owner never bothered to get that fixed.
                    20 minutes of tweaking the bridge and truss rod and it plays like butta'.

Other than the pickups, it's a pretty decent guitar.
                    Still haven't decided what pickups to put in there, but for only costing a $100, it's a keeper.

Here's a stock pic of one. Haven't taken a pic of mine yet.
                    H75915000001000-00-500x500.jpg
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

+1
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

The problem, as one might imagine, is the quality of the components used and that of the workmanship. Again, 399.00 list. Need I say more?
                        Could you specify more precisely what was wrong with it?
                        I have no personal experience with these, but some of the new ones are looking rather interesting.
                        Is this India or China made?

Comment

Probably Chinese, though there was at least one Indonesian JS series in the past.
                          Indian production stopped around 2012.
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                            Could you specify more precisely what was wrong with it?
                            I have no personal experience with these, but some of the new ones are looking rather interesting.
                            Is this India or China made?
                            The fret work was sub par (a common issue from what I read) with the fret edges protruding slightly from the fret board edge. The neck itself felt clunky and slow. The pots didn't seem securely seated, perhaps a matter of tightening the nut/washer securing it to the cavity.

Comment

The fret work was sub par (a common issue from what I read) with the fret edges protruding slightly from the fret board edge. The neck itself felt clunky and slow. The pots didn't seem securely seated, perhaps a matter of tightening the nut/washer securing it to the cavity.
                              Ah, thanks. Yeah, poor fretwork and an awkward feeling neck are big dealbreakers for sure. It's sad that Jackson are putting out stuff that shouldn't have gotten past QC.

Comment

Working...
                              X