Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 jackson professional fusion sx - help

Hi guys,
    I need some help from all the Jackson professional series gurus out there.
    I recently bought what I think is a 92 Jackson Professional fusion SX.
    It's in pretty good shape, and wasn't overly expensive.
    The only problem with it is that the previous owner had lost the whammy bar.
    and the next problem I have is that it doesn't appear to have the "screw in" type whammy bar like my 2005 model Jackson dinky (MIJ)
    I even emailed Jackson and they couldn't really help.
    I have seen on ebay the "push in" style whammy bars for earlier models.
    it has what looks like a six sided nut on the tremolo face (I hope this makes sense)
    So I would love for someone to be able to tell me what type of whammy bar it "should have"
    I would hate to buy the incorrect one off ebay and have it not fit.

I have a couple of pics but can't attach them.

thanks in advance guys

Sounds like someone swapped the original trem out.
    It should have a JT-580, which uses a standard Schaller style trem arm and collar.
    You can buy replacements trem bar and collar from ---> Stew Mac.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Betterthanmyman View Post
      I have a couple of pics but can't attach them.
      This forum doesn't let you attach pics. You will need to host them on an image sharing site (like imgur for example), and link to them in your post.

A six sided nut on the face of the baseplate? Early OFRs had something like that, and probably some OFR copies as well. They took a screw-in bar that was threaded at the end (it didn't have a threaded collar on the bar like later OFRs).

Experts: Didn't the Jackson JT-500 bridge have something like this, or is my memory going?

Comment

The original JT-580 had a screw-in bar before they went with the JT-580LP.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          Experts: Didn't the Jackson JT-500 bridge have something like this, or is my memory going?
          The JT-500 is identical to the JT-590. The JT-500 baseplate is made of cheap metal though.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Correct... I forgot about the early JT-580. After 93, they go the collar style bar.

You can still pull the screw in arm socket and replace it with a Schaller collar and bar.
          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
            That's it! I thought I had seen that type of trem bar arrangement on a Jackson branded bridge.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            You can still pull the screw in arm socket and replace it with a Schaller collar and bar.
            Yep, this is the easiest way to solve the problem. The socket for the trem bar can be loosened in the back, and like johnnystone says you can put in a replacement Schaller/OFR socket that takes the new collar style bar.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              yea, the Takeuchi JT-580 had a screw-in bar. That would be right for a '92 Fusion. That was post JT-590 but pre JT-580LP
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks so much for all ya help Guys.
                it's awesome that there's so many helpful Jacksonites ready to share their knowledge
                it appears to be the original, well it has "Jackson" across the top of the trem, and "licensed by Floyd rose" across the bottom of the trem.
                after using a torch to look down the mounting hole for the whammy bar, it looks like it did have a thread in there at some stage, but it just about "screwed"
                oh well off to ebay we go, unless you guys have any suggestions about where I can find this stuff?

the serial number on the plate is 920001. am I correct in thinking this is a fusion sx?

thanks again guys, will post some pics as soon as I work out this imgur thing

Comment

the serial is no help in determining the model. You can either check out the catalogue scans at audiozone.dk. Or you can describe the specs (or better, share pics) and we can tell you what it is. At a bare minimum all Fusions have 24 frets, are bolt-ons (which yours is - plate, serial) with a 24 3/4" scale

as for your trem, I haven't tried it myself but I know some guys have swapped out the bar & collar for a screw-down style. rjohnstone mentioned earlier that you can pick them up at StewMac, but your local guitar shop might be able to source one too. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the whole unit
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

That's a '92, Japan serial common to Fusions, but that's all the serial will tell.
                    Could well be the first one numbered in '92, but I'm not sure if they were numbered in sequence.

Here's the SX.
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Hi again Guys,
                      Well it looks like Mudlark has saved me the trouble of trying to post any pics.
                      That pic of yours is exactly the same as my guitar.
                      I had gone through the old catalogues at audiozone (thanks VitaminG), which lead me to believe it was a 92 fusion sx.
                      At least now I know for certain.
                      I don't know a hell of a lot about these, although I'm sure you guys will know what the original pick ups were etc?
                      Mudlark, is that your guitar?

Comment

The 92 catalogue should have the specs listed. One can hope. :P

Comment

No, not mine, just found it online.

The specs are listed in the catalogue, but the pickup specs are unreadable to me.
                          http://support.jacksonguitars.com/ca...-2_catalog.pdf
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I believe that blade bridge is a J-92C. IIRC, the pickups were J-92C, J100, J50N
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

I have the catalog 1992, tomorrow i take a picture of the specs

Comment

Working...
                              X