No announcement yet.

Help with 80's charvel TM neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm just crusty...but I hate when people do this.

Not only is it not a Jackson, it's not made in the USA. Of course you know this, but after this is sold once or twice some unsuspecting kid is going to buy a fake MIA Jackson thinking it's the real thing.

I guess the good thing is these necks rule to begin with,

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
      Maybe I'm just crusty...but I hate when people do this.

Not only is it not a Jackson, it's not made in the USA. Of course you know this, but after this is sold once or twice some unsuspecting kid is going to buy a fake MIA Jackson thinking it's the real thing.

I guess the good thing is these necks rule to begin with,
      +1. An import Charvel with a USA Jackson logo... not cool.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        +1. An import Charvel with a USA Jackson logo... not cool.
        + the real guitar didn't have any logo at all.

Comment

Comment

It did have a Jackson logo (and Charvel neck plate), but it was covered with black tape.

Comment

It did have a Jackson logo (and Charvel neck plate), but it was covered with black tape.
              I've never noticed the tape, but I won't doubt you, lol
              Just put some electrical tape over the logo and start cutting them heads!

Comment

If I recall, something about Jackson and something about Michael Jackson and not wanting to be associated. There was at least one thread about it here some years back.

Comment

If I recall, something about Jackson and something about Michael Jackson and not wanting to be associated. There was at least one thread about it here some years back.
                  apparently "Jackson" translates to "Toejam's moobs" in some countries. They didn't want to risk a XXX rating in those territories
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Comment

I understand how the logo is misleading, I respect authentic guitars. I have no plans on selling this. It was merely a clone for myself. I did as much as I could to replicate the Jack Butler guitar. Really love the feel of this neck. The project came out better than I was expecting, and sounds great with the Dimarzio PAF pickups in it.

Comment

That turned out awesome! Where did you get the body from?

Comment

Thanks. I found the body on EBAY shortly after finding the neck. What kept me from starting this project before was finding a Jackson/Charvel neck 22-frets, black dots, with maple board, and also finding a San Dimas style body without the trem-recess.

Comment

that came out great. Nice job
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

So it's a Jackson/Charvel body? From what model? Reminds me of a Pro-Mod San Dimas, American or the Japanese ones while the trem was still non-recessed.

Since the neck is a Model 1 neck and you added the locknut, I presume you had to attach the locknut on top of the truss rod access area?

Sorry for all the questions. I just really like learning about the work and the story that goes into things, especially since yours turned out killer.

Comment

The locking nut mod was already on there by the previous owner. I put did put a new nut on it though and had to shim in up some. Access to the truss rod is still available with the standard truss rod socket wrench.
                                Last edited by LMDAVE; 06-07-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X