Help with 80's charvel TM neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 80's charvel TM neck

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I was starting a Crossroads "Jack Butler" project guitar and step one was for me to find a vintage maple neck.

I came across one with no logo and purchased it. Turns out the owner painted over the headstock.

So, knowing that I wanted to either leave in all Black like the Jack Butler guitar in Crossroads, or I was going to label it Jackson like the actual Jack Butler guitar for the project.

As I was wet sanding it down I revealed the Charvel logo. I looked up some things and saw that Charvel with TM and a maple neck dates it to 1986 and this on the rare side. Also there are Jackson TM tuners on it.

SO, I was thinking to possible salvage what it left of the logo and just clear back over it. That will restore the black gloss, and keep the vintage charvel TM logo. OR are these not as rare as I think and just going ahead and continue with the conversion for the project?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Jac...tric-Guitar.gc

Comment

if you're gonna make a clone it doesn't matter. its always going to be a TM neck regardless of the logo

Comment

Yeah, I've seen the Jack Butler models for sale, they were around $3,000 so that's quite a price drop. However, I enjoy projects, and I'll do it for way less than that. And also, I kind like that'll look more vintage when I'm done, especially with this neck and I have an original Floyd Rose that pretty vintage.

So, still on the market for a san dimas body, most all I find are with the floating route, and I may end up going that way anyway.

But, about the neck and logo, if it was something rare I thought i'd need to keep the logo to show it. But, I'll probably just move forward with the relabeling it.

Comment

its rare in a sense but if it is already half way scraped so might as well go ahead with the project. nice to see an older neck though. it will feel awesome on the finished guitar.

Comment

does the Floyd nut look original? I don't believe there was an import Charvel with maple board & Floyd in '86. The Model 4M didn't appear until '88.

an '86 maple-boarded import Charvel neck would make it a Model 1 (or one of the variants). So not super rare.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

No the Floyd nut was a mod made to the neck. I was reading a quote on CharvelUSA about this import, "If you have a Import Charvel with a Charvel ™ logo and a maple fretboard and its wearing a Fort Worth TX neck plate you are one of the luck ones.

A 1986 Model 1 with a maple fretboard with a TM is super-rare!"

I don't know about the Fort Worth neck plate, so I don't know about how rare. Anyway, since several mods were made I probably wont care about keep the logo original.

The other cool mod I actually like about this neck was the scallops added from 12th fret +

So, I'm probably just going to continue on with making this Jack Butler clone with the Jackson logo.
              Last edited by LMDAVE; 08-02-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

{deleted}
                Last edited by LMDAVE; 08-02-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

all Model 1s have maple boards, so not super rare.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, it was the TM logo part, along with the maple, that I was figuring the rare category.
                    Last edited by LMDAVE; 08-03-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

CharvelUSA - Alienxnation is an idiot.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        CharvelUSA - Alienxnation is an idiot.

the TM logo dates it to '86. All Model 1s made that year had maple boards.

I'm sure sales increased as more people were turned on to the Model series and more variants were offered. They were only made for 3 years, so even assuming a jump in total Models built in '87/88, a significant portion of all the Model 1 necks floating out there were built in '86. The increase in Model sales might not have impacted Model 1 numbers that much either, as people picked up the new additions to the line.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

TM or not, most model series were made in large enough numbers that they'll never really be rare. Some of the less common models are starting to get a bit rare, 3DR and 5's, 88's, for example.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Either way, I had trouble coming across this maple neck pointed headstock, but it's perfect for this project. I love the worn/vintage look of it also. Nothing against the Custom Shop Jack Butler, but it's too 'new' looking.

Comment

So this is the result of the neck now. I was expecting a large vintage logo when I ordered it, but this is what I got. So I used it.

TM logo tuners left.

Comment

Working...
                              X