Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a dxmgt w/ maple fretboard

Greetings!

I really hope I'm not ****posting, but I'm running out of ideas.

Around 2004-2005 when I was a young teen, I visited a guitar center in Las Vegas and tried a guitar I really liked but couldn't afford at the time.

This guitar was basically a Jackson dxmgt tobacco burst but it had a maple fretboard. The headstock was the same at1/sls (please correct me if wrong). AFAIK this was a gc exclusive series.

I would sleep easier if I could find out the name, and die happy if I could finally own this guitar that made me a Jackson fan.

Here's a link to a pic for reference

https://s32.postimg.org/70ukbimc5/IM...10812_1700.jpg

Edit: I remember the price was around $550, so a little more than the regular dxmgt models at that time.
    Last edited by BjornBrian; 06-27-2016, 05:15 PM.

Maple board? Doesn't ring a bell.
    I think those DXMGT's with a rosewood board were exclusive to GC, but I may be corrected. Wouldn't surprise me if a maple board was offered, but I've never seen one.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

From what I've read on the internet most people seem to agree that they were GC exclusive, however I've seen the models on musiciansfriend and 123music. Could be a partnership or sharing stock, but I shouldn't speculate on that. I've searched far and wide to figure out the name of it like I'm looking for some mob boss that kidnapped my daughter with no luck. Grabbing at straws for more ideas on where to look. It would be easy if I could look at invoices and/or lists of inventory at Las Vegas GC for those periods, but that's a bit extreme.

Comment

Musicians Friend and Guitar Center are owned by the same parent company. It's not uncommon to see GC or MF exclusives being sold by both.
        -Rick

Comment

GC, MF and M123 are all owned by the same company. And I also don't recall ever seeing a DXMGT with maple board.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I gotcha. I wanted to avoid talking out of my ass, so thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate the replies, this must have been some real odd ball guitar. I will continue the search.

Comment

Unless somebody swapped the neck from another guitar. Or perhaps they actually did make one with maple board at one point.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Considering it was a 3+3 headstock...same as the DXMGT, I'm leaning towards it being an exclusive.

I was considering a neck swap; but were there any import 24 fret, 3+3 headstocks available with a maple board in '04-'05 or earlier? I can't think of any off the top of my head and I'm too lazy tonight to check the catalogues.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I combed through the catalogs a while back and didn't see anything that would quite match that neck during the period and before. The guitar at the time was also new, I remember that much. However I could imagine a tech swapping out the neck if the guitar arrived damaged under shipping from the supplier. If that's the case, it may be just a neck I'm after.

Comment

Working...
                  X