ID my jackson dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID my jackson dinky

hello friends, I am new into Jackson world, but I always wanted to become owner of one beautiful jackson guitar. So, I`ve got one, but I cannot ID craft year, and place of craft.

Serial is: 9811857

bridge pickup is not stock, its dimarzio evo2.

Looks like a DK2. The serial indicates made in Japan in either 1998 (small possibility), 2007ish (unlikely, unless someone added the chrome hardware) or early 2000s-2005. They came with black hardware beginning in 2006.

A 2000's- 2005 should have a 96 or 97xxxxx serial, but these numbers could be inconsistent.

Best advice for dating this particular guitar would be to remove the neck and check the date stamps on the neck pocket/neck heel.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

thanks for the reply. I dont have tools currently to remove neck. tell me, why is small possibility that is from 1998?

Comment

I would expect a 98xxxxx= '98 DK2 to have the 'Professional' logo on the headstock. The logo was dropped around 1998, so some/all may not have had the logo.

Also, I think they had satin chrome hardware in the late '90' early 2000s.

I can't be sure...there are too many variables involved with this guitar and serial.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by bockonocode View Post
          I dont have tools currently to remove neck.
          It's called a screwdriver. You don't have one?

Honestly, I don't like to take necks off of the nice ones. I let the professionals do that if I need it done. But I own a screwdriver and don't mind doing it to the cheaper ones when needed. Sometimes even when not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
            I would expect a 98xxxxx= '98 DK2 to have the 'Professional' logo on the headstock. The logo was dropped around 1998, so some/all may not have had the logo.

Also, I think they had satin chrome hardware in the late '90' early 2000s.

I can't be sure...there are too many variables involved with this guitar and serial.
            I thought Professional was more like 95?

And when you say "satin chrome", the name escapes me, but if you are talking about what I am thinking of, they actually had the 3 colors available. Shiny chrome, not shiny chrome, and black. It was something like brushed pewter or something. I think Ibanez calls it Cosmo Dust or some non sense like that.

Comment

believe it or not, i dont have one right now. but even if I have it, I wouldnt dare to get it off by myself.

btw, I got this guitar in a trade - RG270 + line 6 hd desktop, for this one + dimarzio evo2 (I really wanted a quality jackson). seller told me it is a MIJ `98 DK2. I know it is dk2, but I am curious about the year. Guitar is great, it is a huge upgrade from ibanez, but I am jus curious.

p.s. sorry about bad english, I am not native speaker.

Comment

The Professional logo was still used on models such as the RR3 up to '97-98. 1998 was the first year for the DK2, so the logo may be on some early models...not sure.

Satin chrome was the non-shiny chrome hardware that was used in the late '90s -early 2000s on models such as the DK2. Black hardware wasn't available on the DK2 until 2006.

Removing the neck is as simple as removing 4 screws.

Almost everyone is confused by those 96, 97 and 98xxxxx serials. They rarely mean 1996, 7 and 8. They were numbered in sequence. 9600000 was late '90s-2003, 9700000 was 2003-2007, and 9800000- 2007-2011.

I feel pretty strongly that it's an early 2000s- 2005 model. Pop that neck off and check those stamps.

Comment

I had a DK2M. Black h/w, black fins, bullseye. Nice guitar. My guitar guy has a blue one like your's. I am buying it soon.

Comment

Are those tone/volume knobs black?
                    I'd expect to see chrome strap pins instead of black on a guitar with chrome hardware, also.

I'm wondering what is original and what's been added?

Comment

yes, they are black, and plate behind where is serial number is also black.

Comment

Well, that changes things.

The DK2 didn't get black hardware until 2006, so the 98xxxxx serial probably is 2007ish.
                        The questions are: Does the serial belong to the neck, body or both? Was the neck swapped or just the black tuners for chrome? Was the body hardware originally chrome or black? We can only guess at the answers...

Is the tremolo and tuners Jackson logo'd?

This case just got more confusing. Seriously, you're gonna need to check the stamps in the pocket to be 100% sure.

Comment

Working...
                        X