Any love for the KEXMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love for the KEXMG?

I'm a huge fan of the Kelly model. For some reason it just feels more natural to me than any other shape. At the moment I have a Kelly STD, a KE3, and a JS30ke. I've been wanting a neck through Kelly for a long time. Most of the available options are uh. . . beyond my financial limits. As such I've been looking at the KEXMG. Does anyone have any experience with these guitars? Personally, I'm not all that picky when it comes to quality (unless I was going to spend a couple grand on a KE2) but in general, are they worth the asking price?

I'd probably be willing to take a chance on one regardless if the color options weren't so dull. What I'd give to have that minion green finish on one.
    But I've been thinking about buying a black one and holo flashing the bevels. Anyone have experience with holoflash? Sorry if that's too unrelated to the main post.

Hey Flying Squirrel, I know it's been a while since you posted but I am in the same boat. I've got a couple JS model Kellys which I really like, but I've have been wanting to upgrade to something a little more pro. A year ago I bought an SLXT (which I've just noticed has been removed from Jackson's website) and the neck-through design immediately felt better than my bolt-on JS Kellys. The black gloss finish was perfect and the fit and finish felt like a step up from the JS. The passive EMGs sounded better than the typical stock pickups that Jackson uses, but after installing my go-to EMG 81/85 set the SLXT sounded great and felt complete. The KEXMG to me, is a logical upgrade from the JS models, but you're right about the choice of finishes. Jackson seems to be in a time of transition with their finish colours. Some of them are awful. But I suspect they are experimenting and trying to reach a larger audience than their rock and metal core group. Having 2 Kellys in black, I have been eyeing up the KEXMG with the Tobacco Burst finish. But I have to move quick because it seems like they are discontinued with just a few available in stores and on ebay. I hope this helps confirm your feelings about which way to go, but the best advice I can give is to try one of the X Series guitars and see how the neck feels and how the fit and finish seems compared to your current Kellys. Good luck!

Comment

I need a Kelly in the collection but have had other things that needed financial attention the last couple of years.

Should I be able to, I'd be looking to get the silver burst KEXMG, unless they improve their finish options, it's the best one plus it's got EMGs & a Floyd. Ticks my few requirement boxes.

Comment

Working...
      X