Soloist Pro no sharkfin inlays or pickup rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist Pro no sharkfin inlays or pickup rings

Was looking around at getting a new Jackson Soloist. As my Dinky is pretty worn with worn frets. So looked at the Soloist Pro line as that looks to be the top of the line import. And noticed on those they don't have sharkfin inlays or pickup rings on the humbuckers. Both of those are a no go for me.

Since Jackson started the new Soloist Pro line, has it always been like that? Or maybe in a year or so they'll go with sharkfin inlays and humbucker rings like a normal Soloist?

The current Pro SL2 has had piranha inlays with no rings since they started in Indonesia in 2012. A 2011 Japanese SL3 or Elite Soloist would've been the last with those specs that I'm aware of.

I'd guess we'll see a Pro Soloist with rings and sharkfins again, but no idea when.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Ya know, I just saw this the other day and wanted to ask.
      What is the difference between Pro Soloist SL2 and an SL2 Soloist?

Seems confusing to me.
      Why bother having model numbers (SL2) if they are going to be different.

Comment

I imagine that pickup rings are gone for good, and I expect that we'll see them go away in other lines as well. Direct-mount pickups is the way to go now. It saves them a few pennies and supposedly gives more sustain. That said, if they matter a lot to you, you can always install some yourself.

I identify both sharkfin and piranha inlays with Jackson, I even like piranha's a bit more as they are a bit more understated.

An SL2 Soloist could be American if it's called USA SL2. A Pro SL2 is import.

Comment

Aside from the Pro reference, the USA model is called an SL2H, the import, an SL2. That's the way I understand it.
          There was that oddly named Sam Ash SL2H arch top import model many moons ago.
          Last edited by Mudlark; 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM. Reason: S
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Right. Wonder what the H refers to. Is it humbuckers? Since the SL1 is HSS.

Comment

When I see a letter after a model, I assume it is a feature - not a completely separate model.

And when I am shopping, I only look at the SL2 part, I don't look at USA, PRO, or any other designation.
              Friday, I learned that I have to really pay more attention to SL2 guitars because they could be USA models or a cheap import.

Its baffling.

Comment

Oh well. Was looking at getting a Jackson Soloist. Guess not now.

Comment

Yup. 2H=2 Humbuckers.
                  No doubt, Jackson has had some questionable labelling. The whole T=tremolo or T=Tune o matic comes to mind. It's been used as both TOM and tremolo.

Comment

You could go for the SLX, it has rings, sharkies & binding.

Comment

I thought the import was the sl3

Comment

The SL3 was from the Japanese line. The Indonesian SL2 has been the Pro Soloist since Japanese production stopped in late 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                          You could go for the SLX, it has rings, sharkies & binding.
                          Yes, but I was wanting to get a higher quality import. Just don't understand the high end import Soloist not having sharkfin inlays or pickup rings. Oh well, guess I'm not getting a new Jackson as planned.

One thing I do hate is when Jackson uses the ivoroid binding. Looks cheap compared to the normal white binding.

Comment

Really? I find it the other way around. Ivoroid looks like weathered bone to me.
                            White looks like paint, but I don't dislike it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                              Really? I find it the other way around. Ivoroid looks like weathered bone to me.
                              White looks like paint, but I don't dislike it.
                              Ivoroid looks like cheap plastic. The white binding to me looks more like paint and not a piece of plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X