No announcement yet.

Jacksons made by WMI vs Cort vs Samick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't usually associate set-necks with Jackson.
    Hell, I even had someone try telling me that ALL Les Pauls were neck thru.
    People just get 'confused' (which is a polite way of saying that they don't know what they are talking about).

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      We don't usually associate set-necks with Jackson.
      Which is odd, since Jackson construction isn't really neck-through either
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
        Which is odd, since Jackson construction isn't really neck-through either
        Should we associate Jackson with set-necks? If their neck-throughs aren't neck-through then what are they?

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
          Should we associate Jackson with set-necks? If their neck-throughs aren't neck-through then what are they?
          a combo of both

check the lighter rectangle above the strapbutton:

that's the neck'through' and it's only half as thick as the body

Unlike for instance this Carvin bass:

Jackson necks are glued into a route made on top of the body, whereas a 'true' neckthrough just had the wings glued on the sides of the neck
          (this would mean that the wood of the body of a Jackson NT has more tonal impact than just 2 small slabs glued to its sides)

But it does mean, when you look at the picture, that the neckthrough in a Jackson always ends after the first p'up cavity is routed, where as a side glued neckthrough ends at the tremolo cavity (or even further back if no such cavity is present as with that Carvin)

So perhaps we should refer to Jacksons as "Set Through"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I've seen a term thrown around - Set Thru
            Which is obviously a cross between set and neck thru. Although, I don't know if it has an actual definition as to what qualifies as set thru.
            So, yes, we can consider that particular Jackson a Set Thru (even though it is billed as neck thru). Because that is exactly how set thru is described. But in the case of my Schecter, it didn't make it beyond the neck pickup. It was the neck and only a portion of the body, not the whole way to the end, but it was full body thickness.

But that still doesn't discredit my insult of the general population...
            Numerous people have told me that the Gibson Les Paul is a Neck Thru

Sorry, I have to quote Forest on the one...
            Stupid is as stupid does.

Comment

I've seen set-thu that have been set halfway into the body, ending between the p'ups

as for people referring to LPs as neckthrough:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUvADbpqGlQ

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Interesting. I had no idea. Is this for all their "neck-thrus" US and import (I take it the pic is of an US)? If the actual neck ends up around the pickups are they glueing little pieces of maple behind the bridge and between the pups as the pic of the blue one would indicate? Seems rather complex. If the neck cavity isn't right and the bridge cavity doesn't match, lots of variables just so save some maple.

Is this what some call "long set" or is that something else entirely?

Comment

Interesting. I had no idea. Is this for all their "neck-thrus" US and import (I take it the pic is of an US)? If the actual neck ends up around the pickups are they glueing little pieces of maple behind the bridge and between the pups as the pic of the blue one would indicate? Seems rather complex. If the neck cavity isn't right and the bridge cavity doesn't match, lots of variables just so save some maple.

Is this what some call "long set" or is that something else entirely?

I don't know what long set is, but from a scientific definition, it is possible that long set and set thru are the same.

I can't speak to new or all Jackson models.
                  But I can tell you that the older ones were actual neck thru.

Comment

If the actual neck ends up around the pickups are they glueing little pieces of maple behind the bridge and between the pups as the pic of the blue one would indicate? Seems rather complex?
                    The explanation is much simpeler:
                    First you glue the neck on/into the body, THEN you route the cavities

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                    X