X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinish a DXMGT?

My local musicgoround is selling this DXMGT:

http://www.musicgoroundalbuquerque.c...ckson-dxmg-tsp

I haven't checked it out yet in person, but it looks to me like someone thought it would be a good idea to paint that Edward T.H. graphic on there.

So, from what I can tell $200 is a reasonable price if I _didn't_ have to strip that off. Anybody have any thoughts about what I'd be getting myself into here? Is it possible to just remove it, or do I have to do a complete strip and repaint?

Also, while I've got your attention... what's the deal with the sp, ht, bcs that are added to the end of the dxmgt? They obviously screwed it up (no big surprise), but I couldn't really find any info on the naming.

As much as I love Maiden, I probably couldn't live with that either, it's too cartoonish.

Those other letters are probably crap the shop threw in eg: SP=special paint (more like shit paint)

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
      As much as I love Maiden, I probably couldn't live with that either, it's too cartoonish.

Those other letters are probably crap the shop threw in eg: SP=special paint (more like shit paint)
      Ha! I love the idea of it meaning "shitty paintjob!"

Comment

Yeah, those letters are strange. None of those letters are in the Jackson catalogues...that I know of.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

is that even a dxmg, or is that one of those slat models?

Either way, $200 is a fair price.
          You just need to consider if you are buying it to play it or if you are considering the resale value. Because you are not going to get your money out of it buy painting it and selling it.

For the record,, that is not a custom paint job. I don't know how many or what models they were on, but there are many of those floating around.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            is that even a dxmg, or is that one of those slat models?

Either way, $200 is a fair price.
            You just need to consider if you are buying it to play it or if you are considering the resale value. Because you are not going to get your money out of it buy painting it and selling it.

For the record,, that is not a custom paint job. I don't know how many or what models they were on, but there are many of those floating around.
            I'm pretty sure it's a dxmgt. As far as I can tell, the smurf-like 3-over-3 headstock with sharkies can only be a dxmgt neck, and the body seems to agree (two humbuckers -- can't tell if they're EMG-HZs -- and a potentially three-position switch).

As far as the paint job, I tried to find pictures of others like it online and failed. I'd love to see one if you know where to find it!

Comment

maybe i've just seen the same one over and over?

Comment

I've seen similar Maiden Live After Death graphics online fairly recently, but I seem to recall them being custom refinishes on high end guitars.
                But, I wouldn't put much money on my memory.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Just to satisfy my curiousity, I tried to find one from Mike Learn. His are all much nicer than this one. Maybe there are other guitars with Live After Death graphics, but I wonder if they are the same quality? This one is missing a lot of detail.

I think I'm going to pass. I might end up getting a DXMG from ebay for the same price (or less) without the SP.

Comment

the other option...

They make peel-off decals that cover the entire guitar.
                    Buy this guitar. And buy a solid black decal to place over it.

Comment

Working...
                    X