What do I have here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I have here?

So I got in a used DKMG (I think) it has three control knobs, volume tone and [blank], arch top and 3 way selector switch for HH setup. Came with Duncan Designed pickups (gonna switch those out). I thought these came with a reverse headstock which would suggest it's been switched out, the neck feels a lot like my Kelly neck. Almost identical. Anyone got any ideas?

Jackson Kelly Ke3 MIJ black
    Jackson DK2 Black with Flame Frets
    Jackson JS32 8-Q (currently upgrading to SD Blackout pickups)

The DKMG neck also has piranha inlays. The 3rd control acted as an afterburner (boost) for the EMGs, the pups have been swapped.
    Last edited by Force; 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Assuming its all original, its not a DKMG.

Maybe a JS?

If you really want to know what you have and if the parts match. then take the neck off of the body. Both parts should be labeled.
      Last edited by pianoguyy; 01-24-2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Arch top, eh? The neck definitely isn't a DKMG. Don't recall a chrome trem on a DKMG, though its possible... or its been swapped. Checking the neck/pocket stamps may be the solution. Probably won't help, but what's the serial#?
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          Arch top, eh? The neck definitely isn't a DKMG. Don't recall a chrome trem on a DKMG, though its possible... or its been swapped. Checking the neck/pocket stamps may be the solution. Probably won't help, but what's the serial#?
          that's not the trem that came on a dkmg, even if it did come in chrome.

But, now its a memory test.
          Was it the dkmg that started with chrome hardware, then was changed to black in later years?

Comment

The DK2 changed from chrome to black hardware around 2006.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              The DK2 changed from chrome to black hardware around 2006.
              For some reason, my brain says that it was either the dkmg or dr3. I think the earlier dkmg had chrome. I have a dkmg with a black trem and chrome knobs and I remember thinking to myself 'isn't that tacky, why wouldn't they change both'.
              No biggie, who knows, my memory isn't all inclusive either.

Could this be a dkXt, but with a trem?

Comment

Thanks for the help I contacted the seller and he said that yes, he'd switched everything from his Kelly. So that's the Kelly neck (as I suspected) chrome hardware, pickups, everything. At least I got me an archtop body to throw some Blackouts in. Would have enjoyed a reverse headstock, maybe next time
                Jackson Kelly Ke3 MIJ black
                Jackson DK2 Black with Flame Frets
                Jackson JS32 8-Q (currently upgrading to SD Blackout pickups)

Comment

Working...
                X