DXMG quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG quality?

i have never been big on the imports and don't know much about them. i have a chance to get a GMG DXMG for a killer price, but have a few questions. was the DXMG made in japan its entire run? what is the body wood? how is the overall quality of the guitar? the overall quality of the JT580LP? i have a floyd rose special i can put in there if needed, but is it any better than the 580?

thanks!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

I have 2 DXMGs - 1 black and 1 GMG. Both are MIJ, but I'm not sure if they were ever made elsewhere (India or Korea). I think the quality is great for what they are. The 580LP hasn't given me any issues whatsoever. Stays in tune, returns to zero, etc.

If you're getting it at a killer price, there's no reason not to pick it up. Worst case, you sell it for what you paid or maybe even a profit. But I think you'll be surprised at the quality for a lower tier import.

Comment

I think they were all basswood bodies but some were MII, there's a thread on here with all the info.

A GMG DXMG? Yes please.

Comment

I owned one for about a year, wasn't that impressed. The EMGHZ I thought sucked. Straight up traded it at GC for my DK2M which I still have and that was in 07'. Made in Japan and Alder from what I've seen. If its super cheap it wouldn't disapoint. Much happier with DK2M though.
        Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

cool. thanks guys. this one has the pickups changed - a Duncan full shred in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck. it played and sounded pretty good. my plan is to just set it up for dropped D. i'll probably block the trem, too. I put a deposit on it, and i'll pick it up in a couple weeks.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            cool. thanks guys. this one has the pickups changed - a Duncan full shred in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck. it played and sounded pretty good. my plan is to just set it up for dropped D. i'll probably block the trem, too. I put a deposit on it, and i'll pick it up in a couple weeks.
            Those pickups themselves are worth the purchase imo.
            Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

if your pretty light on the trem, then the stock trem is good enough. but if you use the trem a lot then it won't stay in tune (won't go outta whack). so it depends on your usage. the guitar is light, basswood for this model--all made in japan. the dxmg is ok... held in hand it feels... insubstantial. it's hard to describe. compared to a dkmg, i like the latter better. different than you, i'm used to playing oversees, japan-made, guitars (charvels, kramers, jacksons). the different btn overseas and usa made jacksons is great. imho, the difference is in the feel of them in the hands. the usa made ones are solid, detailed, refined, stable, neck has no issues. i only found out the difference after being used to imports and then finally buying a usa made jackson. i'm saying this because if you are used to usa made guitars, you *may* not like the feel of these models. that said, if the pups are already upgraded and the price is cheap, why not another guitar?!

Comment

Originally posted by DK2M92 View Post
                I owned one for about a year, wasn't that impressed. The EMGHZ I thought sucked. Straight up traded it at GC for my DK2M which I still have and that was in 07'. Made in Japan and Alder from what I've seen. If its super cheap it wouldn't disapoint. Much happier with DK2M though.
                +1 Big time bro about EMG-HZ. They're just butt hole pure and simple and so are the Duncan Design! Also the DK2M is alder unless they have a maple top then it's alder with a flamed maple vaneer and MIJ.
                Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-22-2013, 03:35 AM.
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
                  if your pretty light on the trem, then the stock trem is good enough. but if you use the trem a lot then it won't stay in tune (won't go outta whack). so it depends on your usage. the guitar is light, basswood for this model--all made in japan. the dxmg is ok... held in hand it feels... insubstantial. it's hard to describe. compared to a dkmg, i like the latter better. different than you, i'm used to playing oversees, japan-made, guitars (charvels, kramers, jacksons). the different btn overseas and usa made jacksons is great. imho, the difference is in the feel of them in the hands. the usa made ones are solid, detailed, refined, stable, neck has no issues. i only found out the difference after being used to imports and then finally buying a usa made jackson. i'm saying this because if you are used to usa made guitars, you *may* not like the feel of these models. that said, if the pups are already upgraded and the price is cheap, why not another guitar?!
                  Some basswood guitars are light but not all of them are. It really depends on the quality of the piece your guitar is made from. I have a few high end Ibanez guitars that are fairly heavy and they're basswood. I agree with you that the USA stuff is a lot nicer but it should be because it's a lot more pricey.
                  Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-22-2013, 03:43 AM.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Im pretty sure the DXMG is alder.. :think:
                    Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

this guitar is medium weight. there are a couple of chips to the wood, and the wood is light colored. if it is basswood, i am okay with that - i don't mind the sound. pretty much all my ibanez RGs are basswood, and we get along. i am mostly concerned with the jt580lp bridge and posts. it looks cheap compared to an OFR or an original edge.
                      GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

If its a 580LP its a rather sturdy bridge. Kind of hit and miss cause the one on my DK2M is solid, but have played some that went out of tune within minutes.
                        Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Full Shred sounds good in basswood. And like "Rosewood" and "Mahogany", there are many types of basswood. Some not good and some good.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by DK2M92 View Post
                            Im pretty sure the DXMG is alder.. :think:
                            It is alder.

Comment

Some were alder, some were basswood.

Comment

Working...
                              X