Need help identifying my Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying my Jackson

The neck socket what does the 7-1 and M mean? any ideas Back end of the neck SN# 01060215 Guitar in question..This guitar has been modified from stock... The guitar originally had all chrome hardware(knobs,nut,bridge,etc), no mini switch, i replaced the original neckplate with a black one(still have the original) and had SD designed by pickups.. the neck pocket is clearly stamped 2001 and DK2 on the neck and neck pocket.. I found the exact description in the 2001 catalog as well.. BUT the SN# =made in India..date matches the '01' at the beginning of the SN. Did DK-2's come from india.?. was under the impression that they came from japan thx for all of ya's help
    Last edited by Brandenburg; 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM.
    GEAR:
    #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
    #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
    #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
    #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
    #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
    AMPS:
    1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
    ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

I wish I could help you bro but I don't know shit about imports.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

"M" should indicate maple board. Imagine my surprise to see rosewood.

However, I think the 7-1 means month and year, but I'm not clear if it's Jan 2007 or July 2001.

Either way, it's clearly a DK2.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Looks like a Made in Japan DK2 from July 2001. If it were Jan 2007, I "think" it would have upgraded BLACK hardware. That M is puzzling as well.

Comment

Strange serial number for a Japanese made guitar. Stamp appears to read 2001/??/18.
          Last edited by Mudlark; 10-16-2013, 10:24 PM.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            "M" should indicate maple board. Imagine my surprise to see rosewood.

However, I think the 7-1 means month and year, but I'm not clear if it's Jan 2007 or July 2001.

Either way, it's clearly a DK2.
            [had to look at the 2001 and 2006 catalog again] shouldnt be much if any difference between a 2006 or 7 ..couldnt find a 2007 cat..

pretty sure.. if its a 2006 or later it would have black hardware and the pickups would be different.. SD TB-4 JB HB and 2 SD STK-1 Classic Stack S-C

Now the M might mean 'flame maple veneer'. it seems odd that someone would stamp a body with letter indication a neck description.. in any case.. a 2001 DK2 had a rock maple neck w/ bound rosewood fretboard

question: where any DK-2's made in India? All i have been able to read in the last few days says no.

BTW.. It was a real bitch trying to figure the exact model of SG i own too.. mfg dont believe in making it easy in some cases
            GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
            AMPS:
            1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's

Comment

The guitar was made in Japan.
              The serial number is on the neck plate, which means the plate was replaced at some time in its life.

Edit: I did some digging through old serial number threads and there was one year (2002) that the DK2 was made in both Japan and India.
              So it's "possible" this is a "2002" model that was made in India.
              But I still think the plate was swapped.

Here are a few threads for reference.
              http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/101...-of-Origin-FAQ

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/511...ckson-you-have
              Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-16-2013, 11:52 PM.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                Strange serial number for a Japanese made guitar. Stamp appears to read 2001/??/18.
                Ah, didn't notice the serial number was posted (shows up next to the pic). The bolt-on serials that start with 0 and have more than 6 digits indicates India every tiime.

While it is possible someone swapped the plate, as RJ said, I do believe the "M" on a non-maple-boarded neck from 01 means India as well (Malaysia?).

The 18 on the heel is either an inspector, builder, or internal model/construction method number (i.e. 24 frets, fins, binding, etc), not part of the serial.

AFAIK, serials are never on the parts, only the plate.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

its unlikely that someone would change the plate and if they did.. to what end?

The FAQ's says something about the DK2 being built in India in 2002.. that data might not be correct it looks like..
                  While it is possible someone swapped the plate, as RJ said, I do believe the "M" on a non-maple-boarded neck from 01 means India as well (Malaysia?).
                  malaysia is a different country.. 18 might either mean actually mean QC or plant # in India

in any case.. The quality control was good.the wood is heavy and not the cheap light woods you would expect from india/asia.. the guitar plays,feels and sounds good and stays in tune incredibly well.. tremelo never breaks a string and this is pretty damn incredible IMO... I had OFR's that couldnt perform this trick.. I only change strings because they get old and start to loose their intonation(the 1st and 2nd string start to chime.. my guitars way of saying.. "Change my damn strings"..not because they start breaking..i havent broke a string on this guitar in over a year+..
                  GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                  AMPS:

Comment

DK2s were all made in Japan. Never in India, what FAQ were you looking at that said that?
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                      DK2s were all made in Japan. Never in India, what FAQ were you looking at that said that?
                      well then explain my guitar... no doubt its a DK-2.. .. also the SN# is clearly indian..

its highly unlikely that someone changed neckplates from a cheaper MII guitar one to a guitar that was MIJ.. if it was black.. then perhaps..

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/511...ckson-you-have
                      DK2 - Japanese-made or Indian-made (in 2002) Dinky with H-S-S layout, rosewood board, pearloid fins, binding on head and neck, Floyd-type tremelo.
                      GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                      AMPS:

Comment

You can spend hours searching the net for info on a MII DK2 but you won't find it, Japan only dude.

Although it's baffling as to why, someone had to have changed that neck plate.

Comment

I hear ya.. and I did look before this thread was started.. I saw not one DK-2 made in India.. I did see the lower end models though(i.e. js)

the neck plate is indeed a riddle
                          GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                          AMPS:

Comment

Then again, anything held on with screws is easily replaced. Some people re-sell Japanese plates on Ebay and can find pleny of people stupid enough to pay far more than they're worth, mostly so they can pass off their India-made model as Japan-made.

This goes for hardware as well (some people prefer black, some prefer chrome, some also swap out one for the other just before they sell a guitar, keeping the one they want).

I know Malaysia and India are 2 different countries. I also know that outsourcers outsource, and manufacturers are generally not too fond of revealing all their manufacturing sources because of the consumer's insistence that "you pay less to make it, I want to pay less to buy it".
                            My employer has a new line of lower-cost product whose production will move out of the USA sometime next year, but for now are made in America, though one component of the product is made in Costa Rica currently. That info is not found in the literature.

Comment

what is odd is that the neck plate date code matches the date on the body.. if it was switched out .. thats one hellava coincidence IMO

Then again, anything held on with screws is easily replaced. Some people re-sell Japanese plates on Ebay and can find pleny of people stupid enough to pay far more than they're worth, mostly so they can pass off their India-made model as Japan-made.
                              now.. that seems plausable

the Faq's said that DK-2's where made in India in 2002... id like the know where the author got his information from its still possible but after doing a bit of reading since i started this thread.. that information seems unlikely
                              GEAR:

#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                              AMPS:

Comment

Working...
                              X