Jackson Trem Arm Compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Trem Arm Compatibility?

I just picked up a MIJ DK2 as NOS off a Sam Ash sales floor. She was in great shape except for a couple chips (now gone ) and a missing trem arm.

I got a generic trem arm at the time of purchase, and while it technically 'fits' it's really a PITA, compared to the actual Jackson arms on my DK-2 and DKMG. It has a rough feel when threading it on, and when tightened enough not to flop won't move, while given just enough slack to move it will swing wildly.

Is there a replacement I should look for that will operate more like the original, or do I need to track down an original? (I think the trem is the 580LP? It's an '09, from what the store said.)

Appreciate any pointers-

Thanks,

Larry

There should be a screw on the underside of the trem block to give it some more tension.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      There should be a screw on the underside of the trem block to give it some more tension.
      Thanks, Straycat! Never so much as checked...!

Appreciate the help-

Larry

Comment

Anytime Larry
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

OK, I checked the screw on the trem coupling (?) and it was tight. The issue I'm having seems to be more with the arm; I'm not sure if it's just crappy (could be, came off a 'parts wall' at Sam Ash) or a mis-fit for this trem.

When tightened down hard, it refuses to move, but when loosened just ever-so-slightly, it swings loose without any control. Almost as if the threads were off (it seems to thread on okay, though) or something.

If I go looking to buy a replacement, any ideas on where I could look to find one that would work like the original Jackson arms on my DKMG or DK2M?

And again, thanks for the help-

Larry

Comment

It's a crapshoot finding an arm that will work correctly. You're better off buying the whole assembly. http://www.wdmusic.com/fr_orig_comp_...black_pkg.html
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              It's a crapshoot finding an arm that will work correctly. You're better off buying the whole assembly. http://www.wdmusic.com/fr_orig_comp_...black_pkg.html
              That makes sense. I have a Stew-Mac order getting placed in a couple days; would this also work?
              http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...molo_Arms.html
              I'm assuming the Schaller one would be quality, right?

Thanks for all the help!

Larry

Comment

Yes, Schaller is excellent, should work just fine.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sounds like you need a rubber o-ring or maybe stick a small spring in before inserting the arm.

Comment

toejam, thanks.

DonP, any hints on where to place the o-ring? Just curious-

Thanks again,

Larry

Comment

Larry, one of my guitars does the same exact thing. What I did was wrap the trem arm with just a little bit of teflon tape before I installed it into the sleeve. The teflon tape bunches up a little as it is reinstalled. It works like a charm.

I had a thought of putting a small weld spot on the arm then filing it down until it fits nicely in the sleeve without any slop. I have not gotten around to trying it yet.
                      Last edited by Jacksons Rock; 06-25-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I've heard others place a small o-ring around the part of the arm that is inserted into the sleeve. Haven't needed to do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          I've heard others place a small o-ring around the part of the arm that is inserted into the sleeve. Haven't needed to do it myself.
                          Ah, that makes sense. I have some teflon tape (from doing my strat and I'll give it a shot, just because I'm cheap.

Thanks, gents!

Larry

Comment

As a follow-up; the teflon did very well to keep the arm tensioned more effectively, and while I still plan to get the Schaller arm with my next order, it's world's better than it was.

Thanks very much, gentlemen-

Larry

Comment

Working...
                            X