Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Dinky a lesser guitar/lower quality than the Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Dinky a lesser guitar/lower quality than the Soloist?

Greetings to all! This is my first post although i've been reading the forum for awhile.

I live in Portugal, and i recently bought a DK2 in Transparent Black (new, one of the last ones that i could find in Europe), that i've been drooling for so long. A really sexy and gorgeous guitar.

It happens that, a couple of weeks later, i found this awesome Elite Soloist in TBK: http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/produ...rent_black.asp

Wow!!! Now i'm having buyers remorse... for just 200 Euros more i could have a MIJ Soloist, with a real Floyd.

Now... What do i do?! First let me put this in perspective. I don't have a band and i just play at home for fun. The DK2 server me very well. It plays great (just as good as my Ibanez Jem 7VWH) and i'm very happy with it. But i always dreamed a Jackson (that now i have), Soloist preferably (that would be awesome).

Being completly rational, the Soloist would not allow me to play any better than what i play on the DK2: i don't play that much on the upper frets (and the DK2 high register fret access is fine with me) and i don't use/abuse that much the tremolo. It's just the psychological factor of having a neck-thru Jackson Soloist that is bugging me (keep in mind that i've never played a Soloist)...

So, what do you think? Is a MIJ Soloist really a better guitar than a MIJ Dinky (in this case a DK2)? The Soloist always seemed to me like a more "high end" guitar than a Dinky and i'm always thinking i have a lesser guitar... I know rationally that i have a quality MIJ guitar, very well made, great pickups, etc. But do you think this Soloist is so much better than a regular DK2, enough to justify selling the DK2 to buy this limited Soloist? Is a DK2 really an inferior guitar than this new Elite Soloist?

Just want to hear your opinions.

Thank you!
    Last edited by armdias; 04-03-2012, 08:24 AM.

Double post ..oops!

Comment

I think you have a case of the GAS and that isn't going to be cured by anyone here!!

In my opinion..keep the DK2 and save up for a soloist..some days you'll like the soloist better , some days you'll prefer the Dinky...and all the time you'll have your eyes on something else!!

Welcome to the forum!!!

Comment

On that page it says Availability: Out of stock and they probably won't ever be getting any more. If you like the DK2, keep playing it and save up to buy a used MIJ/USA soloist when the right one comes along. If you seem too anxious and want to buy a soloist NOW, then you have a case of GAS.

Comment

Also, DKs are not lower quality than SLs. Soloists are just neck thru where dinky's are bolt-ons. Personal preference. The big difference here is the DK2 has a Jackson floyd while the Elite has a Korean Floyd. You said you don't use/abuse the trem much or play in the higher frets much, so you may notice little to no difference between the two. Out of curiosity though, why on earth would you own a JEM if you don't play in the high frets or use the trem heavily?

Comment

Thank you all for your thougts!

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
            Out of curiosity though, why on earth would you own a JEM if you don't play in the high frets or use the trem heavily?
            Well, when i said i don't play the high frets i was talking about 20 - 24. I mean, i'm not playing on that area all the time, but they shure get played! As for the Jem, i own it from about 2001, and at that time i really "abused" the trem, that was one of the main reasons i bought the Jem, for the great LoPro Edge and the All Access Neck Joint. But for now, i'm more conservative about floyds. As my playing style evolved i found myself using less dramatic dive bombs and such, although i really like to use the trem ala Michael Lee Firkins style, some little nuances and expression in playing.

Comment

Lo Pros are amazing trems. Those older pre-Edge Pro JEMs are worth alot man. I'm guessing yours is Alder?

Comment

The big difference here is the DK2 has a Jackson floyd while the Elite has a Korean Floyd.
                Sorry that i have to correct this, but the Floyd Rose on the Elite is an original made in germany one.

Comment

Originally posted by StealthPro View Post
                  Sorry that i have to correct this, but the Floyd Rose on the Elite is an original made in germany one.
                  http://www.cmcguitars.com/Jackson-Pr...oist-sblkd.htm

CMC has it listed as an ORT-O2000, which are Korean

Comment

http://www.cmcguitars.com/Jackson-Pr...oist-sblkd.htm

CMC has it listed as an ORT-O2000, which are Korean
                    I own one of those Elite Soloists and on the back it says "Made in Germany".

Comment

made in Germany by Koreans?:think:

Anyways...back to the original post two different guitars.... one inst necessarily better than the other, Just Different. Imo

Comment

Dinkys and Soloists are at the same level in terms of quality.

...one notch below Strats!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          Dinkys and Soloists are at the same level in terms of quality.......one notch below Strats!
                          well to be fair, they are technically strats....superstrats. no strat.....no jacksons. I do love a nice sparkly sounding strat. my 4 never EVER leave the notch positions
                          Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

^^^ you're confused!

Comment

If the trem says "Made in Germany" it definitely is. It's weird that CMC has it listed wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X