Import Serial Number / Country of Origin FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joyfantastic View Post
    Dang that is it. you guys are experts at this stuff. Why would the seller lie to me... that's rude.
    And also is it made in Japan still?
    JCF (in its heyday) were so 'expert at this stuff'... I was talking to Grover Jackson one day and I asked him a question. He told me to come here because we knew more then him.

As to "the lie"... It is a very common misconception that a 97 serial means it was made in 1997. So common that it is assumed to be true and told by many "experts" and reference guides (not that the media would ever lie to you, as I sit in my home during a pandemic).
    So, it isn't that he told you a lie, it is that he is repeating a lie. The lie is that he is the original owner and bought it in 1997. but the unit being made in 1997 is just a, to quote you, "sorry for my vague terms I am not an expert in guitars".

Comment

• Danggg thanks a lot for helping me. You guys know your stuff. But do you still think it is made in Japan? That will make me rest easy that I did not get completely worked over.

Comment

• Yes, it's MIJ and should be a very solid guitar.
        RR3's generally had a Floyd Rose, so it'd be a rare RR3, too.

'90s MIJ Jacksons have a status of being 'The Golden Years' of the import line. In reality, it was the '90-'95 PRO Series with near identical specs as the USA models of that era that are the real prize possessions. Though, that isn't a knock on post-'95s.

Also, there's this whole 'Pre-Fender' hogwash (Fender took over in '02) that is pushed on the used markets.
        These are the two most common reasons people will lie if they think they can get away with it.
        I don't know the seller's reasons, but it appears he wasn't being honest about something.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joyfantastic View Post
          Why would the seller lie to me... that's rude.
          I approach every sale (retail or private) the same way: I do my research to be far more informed than the seller/store. It's an insurance policy for me.

It's not up to them to tell me about the particulars unless I specifically raise the topic. It's up to me to do my due diligence to cover my own ass as I inspect the item and decide if it's worth my time and money.

I don't care how ignorant, misinformed, or lying they are, because they are often some combination of all of them to various degrees. My prior research allows me to see if they are echoing incorrect information (forgivable to a degree) or are trying to intentionally deceive (in which case I will "fight back" by driving ar harder bargain, or reject the deal to avoid further engagement with an unscrupulous con artist).

Ironically, being the party with more information allows me to "play dumb" about the item and take advantage of seller mistakes. Not my fault if a seller lists a higher end guitar as something lower-end, or not my fault if a seller lists something several hundred dollars below its normal market value simply because they don't know anything about the item. I'll happily play along and pretend the item is the cheap junk it was listed as, while knowing it's worth far more.

The moral of the story: Always be more informed than the other party when it comes to transactions.

Based on the information shared with you in this thread alone, you're already ahead of the seller. It's up to you to decide if it's worth continuing to pursue this guitar and if the seller is uninformed or if he is intentionally deceiving you.

Comment

• Thank you everybody for your help and pointers I really appreciate it, you guys are the best.

Comment

• I have a Jackson JS-34Q Dinky model with serial#CWJ200364. I was wondering what year it was made? Thanks for your help.

Comment

• That's a 2020. First two digits indicate the year on most imports since circa 2012.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

• Hello, all. I'm looking at a King V thats listed as a MIJ with 24 frets, a Jackson floyd, 1 toggle, 2 pots, and Duncan designed pickups. Serial is 9777365. Which looks like its a '97 or so.

Looking at the catalogues for 96-98 It sems to check out witht he specs except for the 24 frets. Did Jackson put 24 and 22 fret guitars into production but only have one in the catalogues? It looks in good condition and is up for a decent price if it checks out.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

• That sounds like a KVX10 from 2006. Those serials ran in sequence and hit 9800000 before '08.
                    They were MIJ and came with a TOM bridge on earlier models.

I have 977xxxx on my list of serials stamped mid-2006 in the neck pocket.

Comment

• Thank you, Mudlark.

Comment

• I'm trying to identify what model I have and how much it may be worth before I sell it. I don't want to be one of "those" types of sellers, so I want to be sure before I post it. I previously thought it was a '97 model until I came across this thread. As far as I can tell, it looks to be a DX6 model from around 2003, but I couldn't find another example with the sharkfin inlays. Also, I would prefer to not have to remove the neck for further details as I don't want to ruin the current setup before I sell it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I tried uploading photos but the site wouldn't let me, so I'll type in the specs instead:

Serial: 9733570
                        Color: Trans Red
                        Fretboard: Rosewood
                        Neck: Maple
                        Construction: Bolt-on
                        Frets: 24
                        Bridge: Tune-o-matic, string-through
                        Headstock: Standard (a.k.a. double-sided)
                        Inlays: MOP Sharkfin
                        Hardware: Black
                        Pickups: Humbuckers (passive)
                        Selector: 3-way
                        Knobs: Volume, tone
                        Body: belly and forearm contours
                        Other: binding on neck and headstock

Comment

• That's a Japanese DXMGT from about 2003-4. Those were in the $4-500 new range back then if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                            That's a Japanese DXMGT from about 2003-4. Those were in the $4-500 new range back then if I'm not mistaken.
                            Probably should list it for 1000.00 now than
                            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                              That's a Japanese DXMGT from about 2003-4. Those were in the $4-500 new range back then if I'm not mistaken.
                              Thanks Mudlark , you're a legend!

john.w.lawson , can't tell if you're being facetious or not haha.

Comment

• MIJ's are often priced off the charts because people compare them to the '90-'95 MIJ PRO's that came with near identical specs as the USA's of the day.

Plus, serial numbers ran from 9600000 to 9800000 during a 15 year run ('96-2011).
                                So, many people think they have one of those '90s models.

NOW, the MIJ line comes back this year with models upwards of $2500 USD!!!
                                People see dollar signs, but they're not being realistic, or properly informed.

I've got a 2011 MIJ DKMGT made a couple months before MIJ production stopped.
                                I'm gonna sell that when I retire for a fortune.

Comment

Working...
                                X