Import Serial Number / Country of Origin FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, post them here.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

• Originally posted by azathoth246 View Post
      Hi all, I'm looking for some help dating my Jackson Kelly Pro. Serial number is J011347, stickered on the back of the headstock. Blank truss rod cover, no neck plate. The neck and the neck pocket are stamped "KE 4", so I'm assuming it's a KE4 which was made from '95 to '98? Any help is appreciated!

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/NqQt2
      There's no way to decode those stickers that I'm aware of. Those early date stamps don't say much either. Those stickers were a mid-'90s thing, and KE4's were introduced in '96, so it's probably from late-'95 to '96-7 somewhere. I'm pretty sure those stickers didn't go past '95-'96, but I can't be sure.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

• thanks dude..9785638 9785862 9831392 and 9812502. i have five others but they are not with me at the moment..thanks for any help.

Comment

• According to my list of serial numbers that have been confirmed by their neck pocket date stamps:

9785xxx should be '06-'07
          9812xxx should be '07-'08
          9831xxx should be '08

I say 'should be' because occasionally there are inconsistencies with these numbers.
          For example: I've seen a number of guitars stamped 2005 in the neck pocket, but they had a 98xxxxx serial.
          These numbers ran in sequence and 9800000 generally began in 2007 and ended in 2011 around 985xxxx. A 2005 should have a 97xxxxx serial since 9700000 started circa 2003 and ended 2007ish.

I can only theorize those numbers were misprints. The 98 should've been 97. Your 98 numbers may be examples of these misprints since the COW was available in 2005.

Checking the date stamps in the pocket will provide the year/month/day, though sometimes the stamps are messy and can't be fully read.

Comment

• Thanks for your help mate. I appreciate it. One thing is odd. The first serial number I put up is my first purchased cow7,but I got it brand new in 04/05.. Odd. Make no difference, I love them all

Comment

• 9785xxx bought in '04-'05? Yes, that's odd.

Comment

• mind if i throw a few more at you,since i have no idea how to read the serials ?

Comment

• Go ahead.
                  Some numbers are date-coded, the 9xxxxxx format was sequential and date-coded and others haven't been deciphered at all to my knowledge.

Comment

• Hi, new to board like the information. I picked up this guitar from pawn shop serial 403041 dinky professional for 150$ can you give me a little info on it and it if I got value. It came with Jackson Floyd rose, 2 Seymour Duncan hum buckers and single EMG pickup. Those are not stock with guitar are they?

Comment

• Is there a 'Professional' logo on the headstock? Can't determine the model with a serial. I can say the number indicates 1994 made in Japan.

$150 would be a fantastic deal if it's an actual '94 Jackson. Anything under $300 would be a great deal for bolt on Japanese Jackson in good shape. Those wouldn't be original pups in a '94 Japanese Jackson.

Check the '94-'95 catalogue and see if your guitar is shown. If not, I'd suggest posting a pic or two. You first need to post pics on a photo sharing site such as photobucket and then copy the link here.

http://support.jacksonguitars.com/ca...95_catalog.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                        Is there a 'Professional' logo on the headstock? Can't determine the model with a serial. I can say the number indicates 1994 made in Japan.

$150 would be a fantastic deal if it's an actual '94 Jackson. Anything under $300 would be a great deal for bolt on Japanese Jackson in good shape. Those wouldn't be original pups in a '94 Japanese Jackson.

Check the '94-'95 catalogue and see if your guitar is shown. If not, I'd suggest posting a pic or two. You first need to post pics on a photo sharing site such as photobucket and then copy the link here.

http://support.jacksonguitars.com/ca...95_catalog.pdf
                        It's the Dinky XL professional similar to top one in catalog with only different is the pups are similar setup like the EX with humbucker at bridge and neck and single in middle.

Comment

• Same as the XL, but with HSH pickups? 24 frets, shark fin inlays and non-reverse headstock?

I'd suggest posting a pic because you may have a guitar that's had its neck/serial swapped or been modified somehow. Or, it could be a model that isn't in the catalogues...or one that I don't recall.
                          Last edited by Mudlark; 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Go ahead.
                            Some numbers are date-coded, the 9xxxxxx format was sequential and date-coded and others haven't been deciphered at all to my knowledge.
                            cheers mate,your knowledge is great.. C706244..9727545..and 211774.thanks Mudlark

Comment

• C7xxxxx (Charvel neck thru?) = 1987

972xxxx = either 1997 or 2004ish depending on which model it is. There were 2 number formats that used the 96, 97 and 98 numbers. One format ran in sequence, the other was date coded. Knowing the model will determine whether the guitar was available in 1997 or not. If the model wasn't released until much later than '97, you can conclude the number isn't date-coded, but sequential. If it has a 'Professional' logo it'd be 1997.

2xxxxx on a bolt on model with a 'Professional' logo'd headstock would indicate 1992.

Comment

C7xxxxx (Charvel neck thru?) = 1987

972xxxx = either 1997 or 2004ish depending on which model it is. There were 2 number formats that used the 96, 97 and 98 numbers. One format ran in sequence, the other was date coded. Knowing the model will determine whether the guitar was available in 1997 or not. If the model wasn't released until much later than '97, you can conclude the number isn't date-coded, but sequential. If it has a 'Professional' logo it'd be 1997.

2xxxxx on a bolt on model with a 'Professional' logo'd headstock would indicate 1992.
                                yep,C7 is a model 6 with JT6 bridge,to this day its a fantastic player i use a lot..purchased new in 87. 2xxxxx is a dinky XL(jap made?) ordered and purchased brand new in 94 ??

Comment

Working...
                                X