No announcement yet.

ROFL - Model 6 for $999

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been to my local GC in Lynnwood Washington once in 4 years. First off, I didn't see anything special. The place was small and overstuffed with stuff. I may go back, but I wasn't impressed at all. I am sure each store has it's ambience, but I sure didn't like this one. As for who owns GC, it doesn't matter. Their prices have to compete or they stay on the wall. It doesn't help them that the pawnshop is just up the road and has a great selection of used guitars. Some poor bastard hocks his guitar for $150 if he is lucky. A good pawnshop this close to a GC up here is why I don't go there.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I will admit that there some cases. Where people do pay too much for a piece in trade or as a street buy. Those of us who are in the know tell them they paid to much for it. if it sit for too long it gets marked down. Hopefully to a resonablr price and still make some money. but in a lot of cases it gets blown our for what eber we can get for it.Unfortunately it happens more often than we'd like. But we do have new policies and procedures in place as a chain that we are supposed to follow. Such as getting 2-3 other people involved in the trade. Including a key holding mgr. Which is great but not ever key holding mgr knows the gear either. I see flaws in the system. LOL Go figure. If a used guitar comes in and it all of a sudden is priced higher than it was originaly that has to be done at corperate level by the vintage guys in hollywood. The storme manager has limited abilities on that once its been built into the system. Im probably goin into too much detail but you get my point. The corperate higher ups do realise whats happening and that ebay is now our biggest competitor in the used market. So we use ebay as a guide for pricing on similar or the same pieces. It's just a mtter of the "seasoned vets" who feel they know better actually following the procedures.
      I cant speak for Halsted but i know we have a high turnover rate as a chain due to. Bew highers not understaning the duties involved when higherd. They cant handle the stress of sales. Or they just dont make it for one reason or another and get fired or quit. It's hard to get knowledgable people some times. We do what we can and train them.
      Gil

Comment

They must have seen that ebay auction awhile ago where a board member here sold his Model 6 for over $1,000. Somebody wanted that thing bad!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
          So again I ask wheres the evidance of inflated pricing? Skorb what basis of facts do you have to support this? Just curious.
          Gil
          mainly it's the used pricing I find silly dude.

the evidence was in my initial post. $999 for a beat up Model 6 missing parts - in an unpopular color no less. you going to defend that?

a couple years ago or so the same store had a beat up 70's Guild F212 12-string acoustic listed for the same $999. I got a much better F212 in way better condition from a guy on eBay for $650, and that was about the going eBay price for that model of Guild, without the fret markers or fancy neck/hs binding. it gathered dust for a long time there, not sure if they still have it or not.

so that's two.

I line up with Tekky on the whole GC issue. some stores have good guys working there, and you can get discounts on some stuff if you ask (I just bought almost $100 worth of accessories at the same Covina store I mentioned earlier, and got 10%-20% off each thing since I asked for a better deal).

but I every single GC I've ever been in has insulting prices on used gear, not just guitars but amps too (in fact the used amp pricing appears to be "check eBay and then add 50% to that").

again, not a knock on you or your store there, but it's not all wine and roses in terms of the perception of GC in the knowledgable guitarist market. ass-rapish prices on used gear are a solid reason for that perception.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

>> They must have seen that ebay auction awhile ago where a board member here sold his Model 6 for over $1,000.

Dat be me!

And it was, if I recall correctly, $1100. Yeah, the buyer wanted it REAL bad...
            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

My store has a 1992 SG Std. for $1100. A brand new SG Std. goes for the same price. So why is a 1992 marked as the same price? Must be "vintage"

Just for the record, I have no interest - I'm happy with my SGs.

Comment

In defense of the GC, which I won't do often, Jackson abd Charvel models have absolutely no markings whatsoever in helping idemtification. They see a "charvel soloist" not marked with a date or country of origin, and bam. It's marked at a bargain price for a USA soloist.
                Not forgiving the company, but they aren't paying to have certified apparaisers of vintage Hamers and Jacksons on staff.

They "should" no better, but usually don't.
                Not listening to you when you "out" the model 6 is a typical lack of knowledge/ownership which is prevalent nowadays. A year from now someone will take $400 for it, maybe two or three, bit eventually it'll get to where it belongs.
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete View Post
                  >> They must have seen that ebay auction awhile ago where a board member here sold his Model 6 for over $1,000.

Dat be me!

And it was, if I recall correctly, $1100. Yeah, the buyer wanted it REAL bad...
                  That was a great deal for you!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X