Locking Nut on Model Series neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Nut on Model Series neck?

New guy question. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm not having much luck using the search.

Can I replace the standard nut on my model series necks with FR locking nuts? Not a behind the nut clamp, but the nut itself. Will it clear the trussrod? Thanks in advance!

It requires that you build a shelf for the floyd nut. If it's done right, there's no problem getting to the truss rod to adjust it. Here's a pic of one of mine that was converted from a Kahler lock to an OFR nut:

Comment

Nice! Thanks dg! How did you get the angle: calculated measurement or trial and error?
      Last edited by orange9; 08-19-2007, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Waste of time, IMHO. The behind-the-nut lock is much better (when setup correctly).
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Is that a top mount or rear mount locking nut?
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

I just bought a charvel and had this exact same question. The previous owner installed a fr locking nut behind the original. Thing is there is no shim so it sits up with space underneath it and it is at a slight angle.

Pretty dodgy I must say. I did't think to ask when I bought it. The joys of ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by orange9 View Post
              Nice! Thanks dg! How did you get the angle: calculated measurement or trial and error?
              It was already done when I bought it. I guess you need to get the right depth at the leading edge of the nut, and create a wedge with the correct angle.

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              Is that a top mount or rear mount locking nut?
              This one is rear-mount. It's an '84 neck, and I think it was done quite a while ago. I know quite a few people have done top mount, though. Not sure which is better. My guess is that through-the-neck bolts might make it more stable, but there's the old tradeoff of worrying about weakening the neck joint.

Overall, mine works great and I prefer it to the behind-the-nut lock, but I haven't felt the urgent need to switch my Model 6 over. It works fine & stays in tune. I think it has slipped maybe once or twice during full pullups in the 4 years I've had it, and the B string always goes sharp when I lock down (easy to compensate for, though). I'll probably put a floyd nut on when it goes in for fret work, but no rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                Waste of time, IMHO. The behind-the-nut lock is much better (when setup correctly).
                Originally posted by dg View Post
                Overall, mine works great and I prefer it to the behind-the-nut lock, but I haven't felt the urgent need to switch my Model 6 over.
                Why do you guys prefer the behind the nut lock? What about them do you like better?

Comment

I prefer the floyd nut, Sanctuary likes the behind-the-nut lock. I've heard some people say they can tell a tone difference, and prefer a standard nut. Not sure if that's why Sanctuary prefers it. I never argue tone preferences because it's all opinion, but I can't tell much of a tone difference myself (especially through a cranked amp), and I've never had any slippage ever with a floyd nut, so they get the nod from me. The question is, is the difference worth the trouble & the potential for messing it up? For some it is, and for some it's not.

Comment

Because they came stock with them in the first place and I prefer not to hack up guitars. Ignoring tone, there is no practical reason to change the nut - usually when people have problems it's because the nut is cut wrong in the first place or the plates have grooves in them. But then again, I see people "upgrading" their trems to OFRs from equally-capable Floyds so sometimes preference goes before sensibility...
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      Overall, mine works great and I prefer it to the behind-the-nut lock, but I haven't felt the urgent need to switch my Model 6 over.
                      I didn't read that right.

Thanks for your input guys.

Comment

Although I have seen some Model Series that came from the factory with the Floyd locking nut, most had the behind-the-nut locking mechanism. I would also suggest staying with what your guitar came with. You won't be gaining anything by making the change, and could royally mess up the string height.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                          Although I have seen some Model Series that came from the factory with the Floyd locking nut, most had the behind-the-nut locking mechanism. I would also suggest staying with what your guitar came with. You won't be gaining anything by making the change, and could royally mess up the string height.
                          It was probably actually a kahler floyd type nut. My 3dr has one and Ive seen model 4s that had them too.

Comment

You are correct!

Comment

Working...
                            X