• Show
Clear All

• Timmy_page
    replied
    Ok, well thanks a lot for the help

Leave a comment:

• VitaminG
    replied
    from the sound of it then, it's a modified Model 1A. Somebody swapped out the bridge single coil for a humbucker. As you already suspected

Leave a comment:

• Timmy_page
    replied
    It's got two single coil looking pick ups at the bridgein a mounting ring.

Yeah, the fretboard is practicaly the same colour as the back, it's got a pickguard.

No, there's no mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• VitaminG
    replied
    HSS = humbucker, single coil, single coil

rosewood can be very dark or it can be quite light. Does the fretboard (the bit at the front of the neck with the bits of metal (frets) across it) look the same colour as the back of the neck? if so, then it's maple.

does your guitar have a pickguard?

does it have a mechanism at (or just behind) the nut to clamp the strings down?

Leave a comment:

• Timmy_page
    replied
    Umm... I know very little about guitars, and I haven't got a clue what a HSS configuration is

Rosewood is pretty dark, isn't it? I think mine's probably maple.
    When I got given it, the tremolo arm was missing, so I don't know that either.

The modified 1A sounds the most likely candidate.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Tekky
    replied
    Is your guitar a HSS configuration with a vintage non-locking tremolo, or a locking tremolo?

If it has a pickguard, HSS configuration, a rosewood fretboard, AND a locking tremolo, then you have a 1986 Model 3. 86 because that's the only year that these properties were in a single guitar.

If it has a pickguard, HSS configuration, a maple fretboard, and a non-locking tremolo, then you have a modified Model 1A. The Model 1C (1988) had the HSS configuration and a non-locking tremolo, but did not have the pickguard.

Leave a comment:

• Timmy_page
    replied
    Mine looks pretty much the same as the 1A here
    http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Ch1...ortsPage02.htm

Except it has a double pick-up at the bridge.

Is there a way of aging them with the serial number?

Leave a comment:

• Newc
    replied
    Model 2s had one pickup, so yours is either a 3 or 4. The 1As had pickguards like Fenders IIRC.

To clarify the serialization mentioned above just a bit, only neckthrough Charvels had "C+6" serials. Bolt-ons didn't get a letter, just 6 numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Timmy_page
    replied
    OK, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• jackson1
    replied
    I have a Model 2 from 1987, serial: 254578. Yours is probably from the same year.

Leave a comment:

• Timmy_page
    replied
    I have an import but the serial number doesn't have a letter at the start it's 257559. It's a bolt-on with an open pick-up on a mount at the bridge and two strat style pick-ups at the neck and in the centre. I think it's a Model 1A But I'd like to know what year it is.

Leave a comment:

• Rollin' Thunder
    replied
    Hey, thought I might add this to the discussion. This was a great resource for me when I first strated lurking around the board.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25286

Leave a comment:

• MadJack
    replied
    Re: ** Before you ask for identification **

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]thanks! pics are coming. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]u da man

Leave a comment:

• VitaminG
    replied

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a code basis for the number? I have a neck-thru with a C60xxx serial number. I take it C doesn't stand for California. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    there is....neckthrus with a C serial are Charvels. Those with a J are Jacksons. The first number after the letter indicates the year. Your guitar is an '86 model Charvel. Beyond that, can't tell what it is without more information

Leave a comment:

• Tekky
    replied

No.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X