Hi all....MIM Charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all....MIM Charvels?

Hi all. At some point long ago I used to surf thos board and it's been quite a while....but I actually remembered my user name and password. Heads up....life story coming...

I was born in 81, so as a kid I remember the music shop iny local mall having superstrats hanging all over the walls. I was introduced to Japanese Charvels when my middle school band director brought in his '87 model 6 in electric blue one day....I was obsessed from then on.

I have owned a 1987 Charvel Model 3A since summer of 1995 when my buddy's older brother hawked it and gave me the slip to get it from the lawn shop (along with one of those shitty solid state Marshall Jubilee mini stacks). Somewhere along the way, the JT-6 was swapped with a Floyd Original with a brass block. I have since pulled the stock pickup switch and pickups and replaced them with a three way switch and the classic JB/59 set.

I joined a reggae band years ago and got into Fenders and Gibson's since they're kinda the industry standard with that kind of music. But a few years ago I took my Charvel in to the shop for some work and since I got it back, it plays like new and I get bored with the other guitars, particularly their absence of a locking tremolo. As an aside, in June of 2020 I put together a little studio my office and was occupied with buying recording gear. One day I walked into my local GC and right there on the wall of used was an 87 model 6 that didn't have a case....for $550! And I didn't fucking buy it! What an ass I am. So since then, I've been on a quest for another superstrat. Man....the vintage Japanese market is INSANE! You used to be able to buy these things for like a hundred bucks....I'm sure you're all aware of the cost now.

That brings me to my big question: how do you guys feel about the MIM Charvels? I'm not paying $2500 for a new MIJ Charvel when a USA Select is only a hundred more. I want something that is versatile and can do metal, reggae or blues....whatever I feel like that day. I have been looking at the DK24 HSS FR but I am hung up about buying a guitar that wasn't made in California, Nashville or Japan. But I'm married with 4 kids and the musical budget has decreased significantly. Do you guys feel as good with the Mexican Charvels as with the old Jap ones?

Here's my one and only as of now....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P61aVeUgSh5MH96P9
    Last edited by orion681; 02-23-2022, 04:17 PM.

As far as I know at least from reading on here no real quality issues with the MIM Charvels, but like Pianoguyy said in your other post the Model Series has more in common with Jacksons of the time than the current Charvels. Unless you just want a brand new guitar or one without a pointy headstock, I'd look for a Charvel Classic series (toothpaste logo) mainly because they had Floyd nuts or an early to mid '90's Jackson Professional. The '90s Jackson professionals were made in the same factory as the Charvel Model/ Classic series guitars. They can also be picked up for under $1000. They say Professional on the headstock. I say this because My friend has a Pro-mod and I had a Pro-mod neck on a partscaster for awhile. Even though the thickness was similar the neck profile is different. IMO don't feel like the '80s import Charvels ( Model Series)

jackson professional in Guitars | eBay

Comment

I love my MIM Pro Mods and have three of them. I do have a special place in my heart for the Model, Classic, Contemporary and Professional series of Charvels. There are good deals still out there for MIM that are fairly easy to find. The deals on the MIJ ones have definitely become few and far between. Prices do seem to be creeping down but I'd say they'll still be inflated for another year or two like the gun and ammo market. The Pro Mod necks feel nothing like the MIJ necks though. I myself like both the MIM Pro Mod "C" shape and the thin "D" shape of the MIJ Charvels too.

I did pick up a Predator a couple of months ago for $387.00 shipped with a chainsaw case. It needed some work but it was well worth it.
      Last edited by Razor; 02-24-2022, 08:28 AM.

Comment

As a fan of Charvel Model Series, I can also echo pianoguy in that the new MiM Charvels are much more like the original pre Jackson Charvels. The biggest difference to me is the necks shape/thickness.

I can say that the new MiMs that I have played seem to be very well built but they feel more Fender than Charvel Model series to me. Either way they are great guitars if a little overpriced imo. Then again, that seems to be all guitars right now. 1500 bucks for a made in china cracke finished Rhoads v?!?!?! Is Fender crazy?!?!? :P

Comment

Current Ebay search show some Model Series guitars around and below the price of a new DK24.

charvel model in Guitars | eBay

Comment

The MIMs are excellent in my experience, especially regarding fretwork. Fully on par with '90s MIJs such as the 475 series.

Only change I'd like to see is an angled neck plate like the 475 or better yet, a modern ultra slim ProMod style neck joint. No need to still have a Buick parked in the middle of your guitar in this day and age....
            Last edited by Black Shadow; 03-04-2022, 11:27 AM.
            '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
            '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
            '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
            '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
            '90 Charvel 475 XL
            '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
            Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
            Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
            Marshall JVM410H

Comment

'95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
              '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
              '90 Charvel 475 XL
              '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
              Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
              Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
              Marshall JVM410H

Comment

I like the block joint for aesthetic reasons and have never had a problem with it ergonomically.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post
                  No need to still have a Buick parked in the middle of your guitar in this day and age....
                  I like it. It gives me a place to plant my thumb.
                  My change would pickup rings for that same reason - a place to anchor my fingers.

*but no one has ever used me as an example of 'good technique'

Comment

I just picked up a ProMod DK24 and it’s great!

Comment

I've had the USA's and the MIJ's's and the MIM's Pro Mod's (So Cal and San Dimas). I would count the MIM's as last compared to all the other one's. I do really like the DK24 though and do play the MIM San Dimas a lot even though the neck shape and finger board are not to my liking, the neck isn't thin or thick enough to play it certain way's and the board isn't wide enough. Just a OP
                      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 05-29-2022, 07:08 PM.
                      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I have a MIJ 87 Black Cherry model 6 that dropped a Floyd in….great. However, I have a 2015 MIM San Dimas and 2021 MIM SoCal and all three are completely bad ass. You can have a Mexican make it Mexico or a Mexican American make it in Corona. Not much difference other than price in my opinion. Some of the materials are select and may be a bit better. That’s about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBrian View Post
                          I have a MIJ 87 Black Cherry model 6 that dropped a Floyd in….great. However, I have a 2015 MIM San Dimas and 2021 MIM SoCal and all three are completely bad ass. You can have a Mexican make it Mexico or a Mexican American make it in Corona. Not much difference other than price in my opinion. Some of the materials are select and may be a bit better. That’s about it.

I guess if I only owned three and two were from MIM I'd be saying that too
                          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Just in case you were trying to show your black cherry model 6

model 6.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X