Help with ID on Charvel Model 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID on Charvel Model 3?

I gratefully look forward to your assistance in solving this guitar mystery. I’ve owned some modern Charvels but nothing from, say, the 1980s. This guitar was sold to me as a Charvel Model 3, and it appears to have some Model 3 features:
    * HSS pickup configuration
    * two knobs and a 5-way switch in the right positions.

But -- it has a rosewood board with sharkfin inlays, which apparently was not a Model 3 feature, but I think seen only on the Models 4, 5 and 6.

Finally, the
    lava crackle body finish was not a Model 3 finish option, AFAIK; the finish looks a lot like the crackle finishes on the Charvel Chevettes, but I have looked at dozens of Chevette body pics, and this one’s pattern does not match any of them. The finish (which looks factory), though very cool, does not match any Charvel model I have found. It's really clean, plays great and I dig it, but what is it?

f you folks don't know, then probably no one will. Thoughts? Sorry for posting images this way. I can post more images if that would be helpful

Cheers,
    JB

That trem is not original, therefore it wouldn't be the 87-88 Model 4 (the years it had the sharkfins)

Comment

Originally posted by brashboy View Post
      Finally, the lava crackle body finish
      and this one’s pattern does not match any of them.
      The finish (which looks factory),

you noticed I edited out a lot of stuff. This was done to focus on these parts -

That would not be considered a lava crackle. Lava crackle are black, with colors in the cracks - lava being an orange-ish red.
      **they did have a "red crackle", which would be the red with black lines like you have.
      As far as trying to match a "pattern" - crackles were not prints. You wouldn't be able to match it with anything. It is a process. Each one is one of a kind. Sure, the basic color scheme is the same. But it is the 'pattern' that cannot be duplicated.
      And the finish - I am seeing a couple little things (around the trem) that make me think it is not factory.
      Last edited by pianoguyy; 11-27-2021, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I don't know enough about the factory finishes from that era so I'll defer to pianoguyy. The body looks like a Charvette 250 and the neck is a 1987-88 Model 4 neck (the 1986 Model 4 had dot inlays). The neckplate and JT6 trem likely also come from that Model 4. Those knobs look like the ones found on a Fender Mustang and are not original to either the 250 or Model 4. The pickups are also clearly aftermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          I don't know enough about the factory finishes from that era so I'll defer to pianoguyy. .

Don't defer to me. I know nothing.
          I am just looking at the tremolo, which looks like it has been cut for multiple trems - but the finish doesn't show any exposed wood. Which would mean the finish was done after.

Comment

I don't know enough about the factory finishes from that era so I'll defer to pianoguyy. The body looks like a Charvette 250 and the neck is a 1987-88 Model 4 neck (the 1986 Model 4 had dot inlays). The neckplate and JT6 trem likely also come from that Model 4. Those knobs look like the ones found on a Fender Mustang and are not original to either the 250 or Model 4. The pickups are also clearly aftermarket.
            The former owner also drilled out the holes for the pot shafts, to about the diameter of a nickel. Then he covered the holes with quarter-sized black washers. This I suspect is why the original knobs were replaced with amp knobs (or whatever these are, maybe radio knobs), to cover the washers. I wasn't really playing the guitar after I got it and didn't notice all this for quite some time. The old owner butchered it and created a parts guitar. But, the body finish is very slick and well done.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

Don't defer to me. I know nothing.
              I am just looking at the tremolo, which looks like it has been cut for multiple trems - but the finish doesn't show any exposed wood. Which would mean the finish was done after.
              Here is a pic of the control cavity, painted in the same finish. As you noted, this finish is also in the trem cavity.

Last edited by brashboy; 11-27-2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

That's what my money is on. Charvette body with a Model series neck and hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

That's what my money is on. Charvette body with a Model series neck and hardware.
                  What marks the body as a Charvette or Model 3 or 4, on the other hand?

Comment

The route under the trem looks like the route present on the Charvette 250. Neither the Model 3 nor Model 4 had that route.

Comment

Trem post spacing. tem pocket. size of humbucker rout.

Looks like many mixed parts on that one, those usually make great guitars with a little love. For me mutt guitars are my goto, no fear of damage when having a good time.

Comment

The moment I saw the finish, this screamed Charvette with a Charvel neck. So, is it basswood or ply?
                        Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                        My collection also there!

Comment

Everything everyone else has said and that finish is one you see on a Charvette not a Model series guitar. If you search you can find the catalogs that show the Model 3 and 4 and you'll quickly see that finish isn't an option for either one of them. That's the first sign to me. That and the tremolo posts, etc...

Comment

Some links for you to check out.

https://www.facebook.com/87039651306...5107362591802/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOjOVng6gQg

https://reverb.com/item/16037744-cha...-black-crackle
                            Last edited by Razor; 11-28-2021, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Oh man, those links are perfect. No question the body is a Charvette 170 or 270, maybe a 250. Thanks, super helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X