Platinum Sparkle touchup paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platinum Sparkle touchup paint?

Does anyone have a good source for platinum sparkle touch up paint?

I have a 1989 650 XL in platinum sparkle that has a few areas that could stand to be touched up.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

No idea, but I love that color. Sometimes the clear coat will age and the platinum will look champagne in color.

I have a dark silver(?) 650XL that I touched up. I need to get off my ass an put it back together.

Comment

I don't have a specific source to suggest, but recommend the following hunts:

1. Walmart, drug stores, Sephora, or any place that sells cosmetics, in search of nail polish that could potentially match or come close to your guitar's finish. Bring your guitar with you and ask women or the sales associates for a second eye on color matching; they seem to have a good eye for colors.

2. Also try any stores that sell automotive touch-up paint. Bonus if it comes in dual pen format where one end is color and the other end is clearcoat, but I find these to be expensive compared to bottles of nail polish and nail clear topcoat.

3. I've seen guitars that were touched up with permanent marker (for example, Sharpie brand) but I doubt you'll find one that has metallic ink to match your metallic finish and I personally prefer one of the two methods above. It might be a different situation if your guitar was a solid color finish.

For the clearcoat, lately I prefer clear nail topcoat instead of the clearcoat that comes with automotive touch-up pens. I find it easier to handle and it blends more smoothly, almost "melting" with the color you apply and with the existing finish.

My experience with touch-ups and blending is only with poly-finished guitars, never nitro, for which I imagine I would need to learn a new method.

Comment

NOTP - Thanks for the tips. That's pretty much where I was heading, but was hoping there might be a more clear cut answer. I did find a titanium sparkle nail polish which I've ordered, I'm thinking that I might be able to tint it in one direction or the other to get a match.

Best Regards -
        Rich

Comment

If you go the nail polish route just don't get caught wearing your girlfriend's panties.
          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
            If you go the nail polish route just don't get caught wearing your girlfriend's panties.

I was gonna suggest going to the hobby store and looking at model paint enamel, but honestly the cosmetics aisle seems probably a better bet for matching colors. good tip.

Comment

I forgot all about model paint. That sounds like a good idea. I used to build model airplanes in my younger days and remember the paints in my Testors kit were a mix of flat/matte, gloss, and metallic/sparkly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                I don't think my wife would like that. Then again....

Comment

YES = nail polish. I color matched my old Model 7 Misty (Pink) or whatever color it was with nail polish. I even sold it with the bottle in the case.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                    YES = nail polish. I color matched my old Model 7 Misty (Pink) or whatever color it was with nail polish. I even sold it with the bottle in the case.
                    Panties included?
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

As long as we are talking about getting our nails done....
                      they now have gel polish which requires being put under a UV light to cure. <== vs a liquid that needs to dry

I have never done it to a guitar, but I imagine that it would last much longer than other polish and paints.

*also, if you know a nail girl, she can probably match it up real good.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                        I forgot all about model paint. That sounds like a good idea. I used to build model airplanes in my younger days and remember the paints in my Testors kit were a mix of flat/matte, gloss, and metallic/sparkly.

Model paint is enamel. I think nail polish dries harder, but don't quote me. I always thought enamel never got hard enough to wet sand and polish.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Model paint is enamel. I think nail polish dries harder, but don't quote me. I always thought enamel never got hard enough to wet sand and polish.
                          it does not dry hard enough, you're right. but what you can do it put clear lacquer over it.

Comment

Yes, to me, the paint is simply for the color-matching aspect. Just enough colored paint to cover the ding and match the original color of the guitar. Then clearcoat (with my preference lately being nail polish topcoat) to provide the hardness and protection for the precious color underneath that is also cooperative when wet-sanding, wet-micromeshing, and polishing.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

it does not dry hard enough, you're right. but what you can do it put clear lacquer over it.
                              As I have found out recently, if you're careful you can wet sand anything and acrylic is cheap and easier than normal rattle can clear. That K2 clear is also a good one but you better not breath it.

If you're talking chips, paint mixed with acetone then super glue for finish works great. I've never really thought that guitars that have chips or scratching are something to cover up though, just shows it's been played! Just MO

and if its like my 375 deluxe? good luck

sparkle model 375eluxe.jpg
                              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 10-26-2021, 11:26 PM.
                              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                              X