X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 3 with painted neck

On Reverb there is a Charvel Model 3 with painted neck for sale:

https://reverb.com/item/43991077-ear...harvel-gig-bag

The seller says that "This is a very rare limited edition early run that was put out with a painted neck. There were only a handful of Model 2 and Model 3 among the early 1986 batches of Model Series that came out with that feature".

Is it true?
    Is there any official source attesting to this?

haven't found an official source for the limited edition since it seems they were "off-catalog", but have found several corroborating examples on the web. it's legit, though I can't comment on the limitation numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      haven't found an official source for the limited edition since it seems they were "off-catalog", but have found several corroborating examples on the web. it's legit, though I can't comment on the limitation numbers.
      In your opinion is this a detail that can increase the value of the guitar?

Comment

Personally, I would treat the value the same as a normal Model 3. On bolt-neck guitars, I prefer unpainted necks, so I wouldn't give the painted version any special consideration or added value over the unpainted version. If it is a desirable feature for you, then it might increase the value for you.

Comment

Originally posted by francesco73 View Post

In your opinion is this a detail that can increase the value of the guitar?
          I'm with NOTP with the satin neck actually being preferable from a playing standpoint. however, I could possibly see the rarity of a limited example resulting in a premium from a collectors standpoint. I have no idea what would be a fair price for it though, especially considering today's market.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            especially considering today's market.
            "Today's market" is yesterday's market. Or, at least where I buy/sell it is a thing of the past.
            I mean, I still see people asking $1700 for a Model 6. But they aren't being sold.
            I just picked up a GLP for $600 after nobody bought it at $750 for 3 weeks. The past year, easily $1000 with a 24 hour turnaround. Today - not so much.

Comment

Nice refin but that's all it is. No way in hell is it worth near that. Needs some TLC and a bad paint job stripped but shouldn't be hard to clean up. It's looks like a nice and clean refinish but IMHO that's a 400 buck guitar. I don't believe for one minute that guitar left the factory like that.

If you have a hard on for a '86 Model 3 with a Kahler then bid on this one. It needs some TLC but I'd wager a nice white factory paint is waiting under the black rattle can paint job that's on it.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/129407913

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

If you have a hard on for a '86 Model 3 with a Kahler then bid on this one. It needs some TLC but I'd wager a nice white factory paint is waiting under the black rattle can paint job that's on it.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/129407913

Thanks for reporting this auction but I don't know that website. I am in Italy and outside Europe I prefer to buy only on Ebay and Reverb where I feel quite protected.
                What do you think about this?

https://www.ebay.it/itm/154589247761

t looks in good condition and you can definitely get it for $ 550 including shipping from japan. Actually I am more interested in a model 6 and I am about to win one in near mint condition that belonged to only one owner. But I am already thinking of economic alternatives if I fail to win the Model 6. This is because I absolutely want to give myself a Charvel this week. I already have some Japanese Jacksons and I had a very good Charvel SDK-075 but I had the opportunity to exchange it for a Carvin CT-6 custom shop. Now the desire for Charvel has returned and I will certainly buy several in a few months. For the first one I'm going to buy, I don't care if I pay more for it than it's worth. For the others I will look for good opportunities.

Comment

I have now realized that the guitar on ebay that I have indicated is not a Model 3 but a similar model from the early 90s. However, it seems to me that the models from 1986 to 1989 (model series) are more desirable. In your opinion for what reason?

Comment

If Razor is correct and the Model 3 neck is a refinish, then to me that would decrease the value.

Come to think of it, while I don't discount the possibility of the existence of Japanese painted Charvel necks (because we still learn things about Chushin Gakki that surprise us to this day) I really struggle to recall ever seeing other Charvel Model Series necks with factory paint.

In my previous post I was going under the assumption that it was a factory finish.

The eBay guitar you linked above reminds me of the Japanese-made guitars that were exclusive to the Japanese domestic market. I took a quick look at Mechayoshi's resource (https://mechas64castles.net/Charvel2.html#SDinky) and I didn't see that model captured there yet, but I may not have looked hard enough, and there were plenty of Japanese-only Charvels and Jacksons that were never documented in the literature and suddenly surprise us with their existence (again, because to this day we occasionally discover Chushin Gakki artifacts that were lost to time).

Comment

That one is Made In Japan and still on par with the Model series. When I get home from work I'll look at my Charvel catalogs scans and see if I can ID the model number. I'm sure it will be a DK- something. That one looks to be in very nice shape.

Comment

That one is Made In Japan and still on par with the Model series. When I get home from work I'll look at my Charvel catalogs scans and see if I can ID the model number. I'm sure it will be a DK- something. That one looks to be in very nice shape.
                        I found another identical one:

http://jag.tomsk.ru/arkhiv/1353-charvel-dk-65.html

Comment

Nice refin but that's all it is. No way in hell is it worth near that. Needs some TLC and a bad paint job stripped but shouldn't be hard to clean up. It's looks like a nice and clean refinish but IMHO that's a 400 buck guitar. I don't believe for one minute that guitar left the factory like that.
                          Here there is another 1986 limited edtion neck black painted:

https://alienxnation.com/soldparts/c...el-series-neck

Even this is a refinish job?

Comment

Let's not get AXN involved in any discussions.
                            And your other link shows a wood colored neck

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              Let's not get AXN involved in any discussions.
                              And your other link shows a wood colored neck
                              Sorry I didn't know it is forbidden to mention AXN. The other link refers to the Ebay guitar and not the one on Reverb,

Comment

Working...
                              X