Charvel 650-XL with Zakk Wylde style custom graphic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

The DK2 debuted in 1998 and didn't exist in 1996. You're likely reading the serial number on the neckplate which has serial number format 96xxxxx. That Japanese serial number format was sequential and didn't correspond to the date. To identify the date of the guitar, you would need to detach the neck from the body, and look for date stamps on the neck heel and in the neck pocket. They would look similar to this (my 2009 KE3 body and DK2S neck, with serial number format 98xxxxx, as an example below):

Really that 650XL even with needing the front restored ( the base coats still there ) is about 20 steps up from a DK-2 or a JSX-94, which all concepts were 94's. I didn't like the artist signed DK-2 I had.
    I'm not downing anyone or their choices in guitars, whatever trips your trigger (makes you happy) I'm stating the collectors value and it being the more sought-after. These are just my opinions though.

Sorry my post had nothing to do with yours.
    Last edited by john.w.lawson; 09-04-2021, 07:40 AM.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Really that 650XL even with needing the front restored ( the base coats still there ) is about 20 steps up from a DK-2 or a JSX-94, which all concepts were 94's. I didn't like the artist signed DK-2 I had.
      I'm not downing anyone or their choices in guitars, whatever trips your trigger (makes you happy) I'm stating the collectors value and it being the more sought-after. These are just my opinions though.

Sorry my post had nothing to do with yours.

Thanks for the information to date my DK2. I know that the 650XL is far better than the DK2 and the JSX-94 and for that I will be buying one soon. However, I took the DK2 as an investment as I paid for it only 270 eur and it is in mint condition. I believe that in a few years I will be able to sell it for 800-900 eur. Already now on Reverb someone tries to sell them at that price. Regarding the JSX-94, I play it with great pleasure because it has a nice thin neck and I really like the red finish of the body.

Comment

There are certain units that I can't see being worth anything.
        The 650, a better instrument, mass produced but not in huge numbers and only for limited years - should definitely increase over time.
        DK2, I think there are far too many made for far too many years to ever go up in value. It doesn't help that the used market is filled JS guitars listed as DK2.
        Nothing of the failed Concept series will ever intrigue me, but with the new Concept being made, I can see someone associating the bad ones from the 93 with the good ones from today.

Comment

Originally posted by francesco73 View Post
          Already now on Reverb someone tries to sell them at that price.
          If you are talking about Essex Recording Studios, they overvalue their items by considerable amounts, far above even the top end of the market price. Many consider their price-gouging to be scalping behavior.

Comment

The older concept guitars didn't fail, they were true concepts that after a year turn into the stealth the Ps-4 and i really don't know what the JSX94 turned into if it did at all? Their mostly know for having the thinnest necks of any production Jackson, even thinner then the "speed" neck
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

This threads all over the place but I do have a few comments. I am not a collector in the sense that I only want mint pieces and or that I will buy something I don’t plan on playing just to have some sort of investment. However I really just love Jackson and Charvel so logically I’m going to own a lot. I am often hesitant with refinishes, major repairs and reroute jobs so I probably would have passed on this one too. Plus I hate bullseye.

If you want Jacksons for investments there are other models you need to seek out, not the really common ones you mentioned, but even then guitar future retirement plans are fickle. That’s all ill say on that.

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
              The older concept guitars didn't fail, they were true concepts that after a year turn into the stealth the Ps-4 and i really don't know what the JSX94 turned into if it did at all? Their mostly know for having the thinnest necks of any production Jackson, even thinner then the "speed" neck

The Stealth shape predates and outlives the Concepts but maybe I misunderstood your comment. Did you mean that one model JDX with the tele style bridge? That concept just didn’t work out I guess.
              JSX = budget stealth. Becomes TH1,2
              JRR= tom Rhoads. Becomes PS3t
              JDR= HSH dinky reverse. (HSH is uncommon for the time?) becomes ps4
              JDX= Dinky HSS. kind of becomes PS2 but loses unique bridge

Also the new Concepts are a new discussion, nothing in common aside from name, which I admit might confuse some but that’s it. 90s Concept = often unusual specs for the time and sorta lower level imports . Current concept= vendor exclusives that aren’t particularly unique other than being very high end imports
              Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
              My collection also there!

Comment

Originally posted by Mechayoshi View Post
                This threads all over the place but I do have a few comments. I am not a collector in the sense that I only want mint pieces and or that I will buy something I don’t plan on playing just to have some sort of investment. However I really just love Jackson and Charvel so logically I’m going to own a lot. I am often hesitant with refinishes, major repairs and reroute jobs so I probably would have passed on this one too. Plus I hate bullseye.

If you want Jacksons for investments there are other models you need to seek out, not the really common ones you mentioned, but even then guitar future retirement plans are fickle. That’s all ill say on that.

The Stealth shape predates and outlives the Concepts but maybe I misunderstood your comment. Did you mean that one model JDX with the tele style bridge? That concept just didn’t work out I guess.
                JSX = budget stealth. Becomes TH1,2
                JRR= tom Rhoads. Becomes PS3t
                JDR= HSH dinky reverse. (HSH is uncommon for the time?) becomes ps4
                JDX= Dinky HSS. kind of becomes PS2 but loses unique bridge

Also the new Concepts are a new discussion, nothing in common aside from name, which I admit might confuse some but that’s it. 90s Concept = often unusual specs for the time and sorta lower level imports . Current concept= vendor exclusives that aren’t particularly unique other than being very high end imports
                The older concept's are MIJ made to the same standard as the rest. The low end part is in the pickups and hardware( I have blackout's in a JDR-94) and the JT-500 hasn't given ME any problems. I know the metal is softer than a JT-590 , I suppose that's why there use to be a guy on here re-drilling 590 base plate for everyone lol
                anyway I'd buy it and sand that off. Like I said the paints still there. Well, I probably wouldn't , I don't really have the time right now.

Yeah, the limited Korean run concepts are just indo's at a higher price

I have to put this in. Any guitar made now is still spec'd buy fender and will not feel like and older J/C product, might feel great to people and might not.

I'm only interested in 80's-90's USA's or maybe a MIM (which is fender spec'd) as far as would I buy it.
                Last edited by john.w.lawson; 09-10-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X