Getting the most out of the J50BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the most out of the J50BC

Well, I go back and forth with liking this pick and not.

How do you get the best result out of the j50BC with JE1200? what pickup height does this pickup respond best to? Should I do away with the mid boost and slap a 500k pot in there instead? Adjust pole pieces (it is uncovered)?

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
    Well, I go back and forth with liking this pick and not.

How do you get the best result out of the j50BC with JE1200? what pickup height does this pickup respond best to? Should I do away with the mid boost and slap a 500k pot in there instead? Adjust pole pieces (it is uncovered)?
    Pull it all out and save it and put an 18 volt emg's configuration in it. I put an 85 in the bridge, best sounding six I've owned. The other three were stock and mine now is stock and super mint. I don't play it much, not because it's shit. I just don't like the four or six's electronics that much, really don't like the four's at all. Stock you just need to play around with the boost and your EQ settings, two mil height is a good place to start, for the pickup
    Last edited by john.w.lawson; 08-25-2021, 10:38 AM.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Pull it all out and save it and put an 18 volt emg's configuration in it. I put an 85 in the bridge, best sounding six I've owned. The other three were stock and mine now is stock and super mint. I don't play it much, not because it's shit. I just don't like the four or six's electronics that much, really don't like the four's at all. Stock you just need to play around with the boost and your EQ settings, two mil height is a good place to start, for the pickup
      Does the EMG 81/85 fit the oversized Charvel Model series rings?

Comment

Does the EMG 81/85 fit the oversized Charvel Model series rings?
        Yep, I'd go with 85 or a blackouts H/S/S and you can still use your switchs and make you boost knob the second 9v push
        Last edited by john.w.lawson; 08-25-2021, 12:54 PM.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

adjusting the pole pieces can have a big impact on that pickup. I'd set the overall height as high as possible so that the strings don't come into contact with the bobbins or pole pieces when playing or palm muting.

personally I love the j-50bc and would keep it. but if you're not attached to it swapping out all the electronic is a perfectly reasonable and reversible route to take.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            adjusting the pole pieces can have a big impact on that pickup. I'd set the overall height as high as possible so that the strings don't come into contact with the bobbins or pole pieces when playing or palm muting.

personally I love the j-50bc and would keep it. but if you're not attached to it swapping out all the electronic is a perfectly reasonable and reversible route to take.
            Pickups have magnets in them. Too close and the string stops vibrating or cuts down on the length of time a note will sustain, besides the fact that they are covered.
            Last edited by john.w.lawson; 08-26-2021, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Do you think the Seymour Duncan APH1b would sound good with the JE1200 mid boost circuit. It is an 8.6 PAF style pickup. I think Slash used that in his Derrig Les Paul on AFD.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Pickups have magnets in them. Too close and the string stops vibrating or cuts down on the length of time a note will sustain, besides the fact that they are covered.
                never had that issue with the j-50bc. that's really only an issue for single coil pickups (which have more focused magnetic fields) in the neck position (where the magnetic field has greater leverage on the string).

Comment

Anyone ever tried the J50BC with just a 500k pot and no JE1200?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLcv0a64jXQ

This guy's videos will help you understand more about pots

Comment

Thanks, john I have a full understanding about pots and how values effect performance I was asking about the J50 with a 500K pot specifically, without the use of the JE1200.

Comment

Thanks, john I have a full understanding about pots and how values effect performance I was asking about the J50 with a 500K pot specifically, without the use of the JE1200.
                        And i wasn't trying to insult you at all. 99.9 % of people the remove boost swap pickups. it would just sound like it does with the boost off but brighter. and again I'm not doubting your knowledge.

Comment

No offense taken at all, John!

Comment

that's how my usa jackson is. j-50bc, 500k volume, 500k tone. sounds good, very balanced. never run it with a je1200 though so I can't provide any comparison.

just remember it's not a high output pickup.

Comment

Yes, sounds like Van Halen with my USA Alder body. It's in a firecrackle HS with the Grover numbered and signed back of headstock.

You can order a perfect fitting EMG oversized ring from fretsonthenet.com

I have JE1200's with J50BCs and J80BCs. They sound good to me.

I have a 650XL I'm rebuilding. I think I might try an EMG afterburner for the third pot.

Comment

Working...
                              X