Adding pickup rings to MIJ San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding pickup rings to MIJ San Dimas

Has anyone done this before?? would love to see some pics and knw your process for doing so. Will the routes be fully covered? I will be using the stock pickups (JB and 59) I just like the look of rings and the adjustability factor. Thanks!

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
    Has anyone done this before?? would love to see some pics and knw your process for doing so. Will the routes be fully covered? I will be using the stock pickups (JB and 59) I just like the look of rings and the adjustability factor. Thanks!
    It will cover the route but the screw holes might be too big for ring adjustment screws. Generally they use bigger adjustment screws when attached direct, so your pickup feet or whatever they are called have bigger holes. I'd check that first.
    Sorry, I've only owned one newer guitar and the San Dimas wasn't it.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

It will cover the route but the screw holes might be too big for ring adjustment screws. Generally they use bigger adjustment screws when attached direct, so your pickup feet or whatever they are called have bigger holes. I'd check that first.
      Sorry, I've only owned one newer guitar and the San Dimas wasn't it.
      Thanks for the info! I guess i could just buy new pckups and sell what is in it. Thanks!

I would really love to be able to just use the stock pickups so I am hoping they will fit. I have heard that some do and some don't have the drilled out hole in the foot bases. I will have to take a look.
      Last edited by GrimRiffer; 08-19-2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I have also read that some guys solder little nuts to the bottom of the pickup feet holes. That would be a cheap ad quick option as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
          I have also read that some guys solder little nuts to the bottom of the pickup feet holes. That would be a cheap ad quick option as well.
          I seem to recall that too. I've never put pickup rings on any of my MIJ professional's, but I know the route the same. Good luck with it
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

My MIJ Charvel body I bought here already had pickup rings installed by the seller. No issues, they look good. I prefer pickup rings. The body did not come with the direct mounted pickups so I didn't have to deal with drilled out mounting holes.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              My MIJ Charvel body I bought here already had pickup rings installed by the seller. No issues, they look good. I prefer pickup rings. The body did not come with the direct mounted pickups so I didn't have to deal with drilled out mounting holes.
              Yeah the MIJ San Dimas guitars came with direct mount. It is a perfect guitar other than the pickup ring delete. I am going to make it happen in a few days....one way or another. LOL

Comment

Working...
              X