Look at my modded charvel chs2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at my modded charvel chs2

Up until yesterday my chs2 was stock. Despite being cheap 90s korean, I've got it set up and playing pretty nice. It's my little underdog guitar that I can't help but love.

A few weeks ago I decided that I was going to make a guitar I'd always wanted to try. I ordered a cheap blank pick guard and 8 string pickup off Alibaba and went to work.

The chs2 has a swimming pool route so it wasn't too tough, but I did have to get the dremel out near the bridge to fully for the pickup in. Also, the chs2 pick guard is not the same as a strat, so I had to drill a couple new holes in it and cut it down at the bridge.

It was a fun project that I did in an afternoon. I was hoping to get a bridge pickup sound on the bass side and a middle/neck sound on the treble. The sound difference is very subtle, I never would have noticed it if I didn't know to listen for it. I still have the old loaded pick guard so I can go back to stock if I want, but it's kind of fun like this for now.

Last edited by thebigz; 04-28-2021, 12:11 PM.

I also just now realized that I put this in the Jackson section. My bad. I can't find a way to move it to the Charvel section. Sorry

Comment

pretty odd.
      I clicked your link and it asked me to verify that I am me, asking me to re sign in

But another browser, one that wasn't signed in - took me right to the picture

Comment

I got off my phone and onto a computer and I was able to find a way to embed the picture so there isn't any weird clicking. Google photos is such a pain.
        Last edited by thebigz; 04-28-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

interesting project for sure. a bummer you didn't see any drastic changes in tone. I get the feeling that's just a side effect of the fairly large magnetic field of the humbucker. you might get some more "interesting" results with a single coil (do 8 string single coils even exist?)

Comment

I had a push pull pot for splitting to single looking right at me the whole time, but in the end I got lazy and didn't put it in. Maybe I'll need to rectify that mistake

Comment

Holy dog fart Bro, I thought someone slipped me some hallucinogens!

But you never really know till you try. It is an interesting ideal for sure.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

That definitely is interesting!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                  interesting project for sure. a bummer you didn't see any drastic changes in tone. I get the feeling that's just a side effect of the fairly large magnetic field of the humbucker. you might get some more "interesting" results with a single coil (do 8 string single coils even exist?)
                  Not sure of anybody else offhand, but DiMarzio makes at least one 8-string single coil. https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/8-s...nizer-8-middle
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey I have one of these that I have had forever and I want to reuse the neck as the body has a crack. Will this neck fit a San Dimas? Thanks in advance.

Comment

whoops , newbie double post

Comment

I would guess yes, but can't say for sure

Comment

Originally posted by mrcrud View Post
                          Hey I have one of these that I have had forever and I want to reuse the neck as the body has a crack. Will this neck fit a San Dimas? Thanks in advance.
                          only if its 2 and a 1/4 some those c series have have an r2 nuts and skinner heels. that one looks normal though
                          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcrud View Post
                            You would just have to measure the heel. IIRC a San Dimas Pro Mod is 2 & 1/4". Same as a Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                            X