Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any drop in replacement tremolo for my 1988 Charvel Model 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dak View Post

The inserts for the JT-590 that came in the Charvel model series and toothpaste logo Charvels were the large diameter and they'll accept Floyd posts IIRC. They pop up on Ebay from time to time.
    This is true however i think they only came in the toothpaste series. Also some jt-590 loaded guitars came with JT-6 posts and inserts. Mainly i have seen this in the 750Xls.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post

This is true however i think they only came in the toothpaste series. Also some jt-590 loaded guitars came with JT-6 posts and inserts. Mainly i have seen this in the 750Xls.
      I only have experience with the toothpaste logo ones. Sounds like I mistakenly thought they were on the model series as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Go here. Read this. Report back. http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
          OFR fits JT6 posts just fine. If I remember right Henrik found that you can use something like 99% of the travel with JT6 posts which is good enough for me. I have OFR's on both my Model 2's with JT6 posts for near 20 years. No issues with use or stability.

paranoid is correct. OFR posts will not screw into the JT6 post inserts.

Is that one of the oversized pickup rings with the EMG? Do they fit ok?

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post

Stock pickup ring. No fitment issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post

I had fretsonthenet make a custom pickup ring for my oversized-to-emg project. Perfect fit with no gaps.

Also, fretsonthenet used to make JT6 to OFR conversion post that would give you the full range of travel. If enough of us complain maybe he'll make them again.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I had fretsonthenet make a custom pickup ring for my oversized-to-emg project. Perfect fit with no gaps.

Also, fretsonthenet used to make JT6 to OFR conversion post that would give you the full range of travel. If enough of us complain maybe he'll make them again.
                Dave is still doing great work and that's not a bad idea. I wouldn't be shocked if he'd do a "one off" for someone if they asked nicely. I've used him a lot over the past two or three years. He even hand made a tremolo arm for the Kahler Spyder in the Peavey Destiny Custom I used to own and it fit perfectly.

Comment

Dave is still doing great work and that's not a bad idea. I wouldn't be shocked if he'd do a "one off" for someone if they asked nicely. I've used him a lot over the past two or three years. He even hand made a tremolo arm for the Kahler Spyder in the Peavey Destiny Custom I used to own and it fit perfectly.
                  I wouldn't mind getting maybe 5 sets of the JT-6 to OFR posts. I think there may be enough of a demand that he could order a batch of 100.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I wouldn't mind getting maybe 5 sets of the JT-6 to OFR posts. I think there may be enough of a demand that he could order a batch of 100.
                    Hell I'd buy a few if it would get the ball rolling.

Comment

What did I miss....
                      Is frets on the net no longer making parts for the JT6?

Why do we need a 'one off' or a batch of 100.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        What did I miss....

I don't think Dave has made replacement posts for JT6 studs in a while. He's still doing JT6 hardware though. I bought some string lock screws for one from him a few months ago. We're just speculating if Dave could be "convinced" to make a batch if there were enough demand.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                          What did I miss....

These are post to let you use an OFR with the existing large JT6 bushings without any issues. They just have a wider V on the head so that the OFR has a large range of travel.

Comment

This explains the OFR not intonating properly in my Fusion Special.
                            8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Why would you have trouble intonating an OFR on an otherwise stock/unmolested Fusion Special? If anything, it SHOULD intonate, and the ACTUAL "trouble" is that the OFR saddle locking screws are longer than the trem route on those Toothpaste-logo Charvels which would limit your pull-up range. I am having difficulty imagining what is interfering with your intonation.

Comment

I always had good luck with frets on the net.

Comment

Working...
                                X