Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any drop in replacement tremolo for my 1988 Charvel Model 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any drop in replacement tremolo for my 1988 Charvel Model 2?

I have a 1988 Charvel Model 2 that is an awesome guitar but the weak link is the tremolo (JT6 ). I've stripped out three of the bolts that clamp the strings down as the metal is cheap pot metal. I'd love to replace this with a nicer tremolo if it is not to hard of a project. I'm hoping there is something out there now that can work with the original holes?
    Last edited by Fizz; 02-03-2021, 11:45 AM.

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...htm#intonation

OFR and i believe Gotoh 1996 should fit aswell if OFR fits, also Schaller and schaller lockmeister should fit too. OFRs are pretty pricey so i would personally look towards gotoh or a schaller if i wouldnt have a spare OFR or maybe even a 1000 series lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
      http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...htm#intonation

OFR and i believe Gotoh 1996 should fit aswell if OFR fits, also Schaller and schaller lockmeister should fit too. OFRs are pretty pricey so i would personally look towards gotoh or a schaller if i wouldnt have a spare OFR or maybe even a 1000 series lying around.
      Thanks Ed.. I'll probably go for a gotoh. That link was very informative.

Comment

the ofr posts will not fit the jt-6 inserts but if your posts are good the ofr with 42m mm sustain block should fit right in. shorter blocks may require some routing of the trem cavity so the springs do not drag the body.

Comment

OFR fits JT6 posts just fine. If I remember right Henrik found that you can use something like 99% of the travel with JT6 posts which is good enough for me. I have OFR's on both my Model 2's with JT6 posts for near 20 years. No issues with use or stability.

paranoid is correct. OFR posts will not screw into the JT6 post inserts.

Comment

I have a properly-shimmed OFR on my Model 2, and it works perfectly.

Comment

Guys, I had a Gotoh installed to replace the JT6 on my model 3 and it was a drop in replacement. I used the JT6 studs and it works perfectly. I prefer the Gotoh and have converted a model 1 to Gotoh as well as upgraded a Squier floyd knockoff to Gotoh...love it.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. The Gotoh rocks on the Model series.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

There's nothing not to love about an OFR but something about jap quality gotoh Floyd's just seem right for the models. I consider them at least of equal quality and they have some cool features the OFR doesn't. Plus can usually be found for a little over a hundred bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Unforeseen88 View Post
                    There's nothing not to love about an OFR but something about jap quality gotoh Floyd's just seem right for the models. I consider them at least of equal quality and they have some cool features the OFR doesn't. Plus can usually be found for a little over a hundred bucks.
                    I personally like the JT6 as long as it isn't worn out. Even though I have two OFR's on my Model 2's I still have JT6's on my 3DR and Model 4. The problem now is reasonably priced JT6's are getting harder to find. If I have to spend over a hundred bucks to replace a tremolo then it's time to pay a little extra and upgrade to a Gotoh or OFR.

Comment

I put a Lockmeister in my Soloist. It turns out in the UK OFR is a much more expensive option, about twice the price of a Gotoh, and about 40% more than a Lockmeister. I'd be much happier if I knew I could get replacement trem posts that fit the JT6 inserts though, as I don't fancy filling and redrilling.... ever...

Comment

Originally posted by Banjowarrior View Post
                        I put a Lockmeister in my Soloist. It turns out in the UK OFR is a much more expensive option, about twice the price of a Gotoh, and about 40% more than a Lockmeister. I'd be much happier if I knew I could get replacement trem posts that fit the JT6 inserts though, as I don't fancy filling and redrilling.... ever...
                        Why would you want to replace the JT6 posts assuming there is nothing wrong with them?

Comment

You may not have to re-drill. What is the diameter of the JT6 inserts? If they are the same diameter as Floyd Rose inserts you can pull them out and press new FR inserts back in their place. I suggest this because I bought an early '90s Jackson body off Ebay and FR posts would screw into the inserts. I pulled them out and FR inserts went right in.

Comment

I'm hoping I never have to replace the JT6 posts, I just like to worry too much.
                            Unfortunately the JT6 inserts are much bigger than OFR/Schaller inserts, which is a good thing in terms of spreading the load over a wider area, but not good in terms of finding replacements.

Comment

I'm hoping I never have to replace the JT6 posts, I just like to worry too much.
                              Unfortunately the JT6 inserts are much bigger than OFR/Schaller inserts, which is a good thing in terms of spreading the load over a wider area, but not good in terms of finding replacements.
                              The inserts for the JT-590 that came in the Charvel model series and toothpaste logo Charvels were the large diameter and they'll accept Floyd posts IIRC. They pop up on Ebay from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X