Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing up my 1988 Charvel Model 6 (and a little comparison to a 2020 DK24)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor
    replied
    Originally posted by Infante View Post
    Geoff Lutrell at SF Guitarworks/Sonoma County Guitarworks Great guy, great skills.
    Thanks for the information!

Leave a comment:

• Infante
    replied
    Geoff Lutrell at SF Guitarworks/Sonoma County Guitarworks Great guy, great skills.

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    replied
    That's awesome! Who did the plek job and refret?

Leave a comment:

• metalhobo
    replied
    I agree about the problems with the triple switch layout (I have it on my USA Jackson) but I disagree about the solution ... something about doing unnecessary woodwork on vintage guitars.

Leave a comment:

• Infante
    replied
    I saved this post while researching repairs, maintenance, mods etc. for the Model 6 (sorry, I don't have the direct link, but thanks whoever posted it). This person went all out to remedy perceived flaws with the stock model.

Last edited by Infante; 01-13-2021, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sanctuary
    replied
    Nice. That's not too bad price-wise and considering they kept the antique binding intact, nice job. I hear the SS frets are a bitch to work with.

Leave a comment:

• Infante
    replied
    Yeah, stainless was a $150 up-charge, and it was another $50 - $75 to work with the binding.

Thanks for the mother of pearl vs abalone correction. You eat the abalone then make some nice guitar neck inlays with its inner shell.

Re: additional expense: It was worth it to me for the never-again longevity and the general slinky feel they afford.
    Last edited by Infante; 01-12-2021, 01:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sanctuary
    replied
    Beautiful. I'm partial to the Model 6. Have a couple of Rainbow Crackles. One with the original JT6 pot-metal trem, the other I changed to a beautiful Gotoh.

As for lock-behind the nuts on the Model 6, yes most were like this. However I have one of the last Factory Model 6's with a proper Floyd lock and no plastic nut.

By the way the shark-fin inlays are Mother of Pearl, not Abalone.

Was it costly to go with Stainless frets? It would be quite tricky with that antique binding too. Awesome idea though.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

you forgot color-matched before the words reverse headstock

Aww shit.

Oh well. Black is perfectly fine too.

Leave a comment:

• pianoguyy
    replied
    Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
    make it a Reverse Headstock, Ebony Fretboard, and Abalone Sharkfin Inlays, and I go into
    the " I GOTTA get that !! " mentality.
    you forgot color-matched before the words reverse headstock

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    I am drawn to Ebony and Rosewood with Sharkfin inlays on Jackson, and recently Charvel.

Now then, make it a Reverse Headstock, Ebony Fretboard, and Abalone Sharkfin Inlays, and I go into
    the " I GOTTA get that !! " mentality.

Leave a comment:

• Infante
    replied
    JJ119
    For keeper guitars, I've got an 88 Les Paul "The Paul" that has an incredible feel, a '77 Tele Deluxe (that I had steel frets put on as well), and this Charvel. It just has that feel and solidity that you get in your hands and ears acoustically that makes that connection. So glad I held on to it and have now restored it to spec. Falling in love all over again. Very satisfying.

I don't mean to give the 2020 DK24 short shrift here. I'm still bonding with it. It is very well made, and a pleasure to play, and that glossed natural mahogany/gold flamed maple against the white pickups with a fender headstock is a gorgeous look. And the inverted cable socket around back is brilliant.

The Model 6, my model 6 I suppose I should say, just has a certain gravitas. I say this beyond any sentimentality, seeing all the years of use having smoothed out and glossified the ends of the textured pickups and the undeniable appeal of holding and playing decades old instruments. Also, we are talking maple vs rosewood, that maple bolt on is a snappier affair. All i know is that it's a great time to be alive and be a guitar player.
    Last edited by Infante; 01-11-2021, 09:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Well now I have to wipe the drool off my screen.

Great Job Infante She's looking Beautiful!!

Leave a comment:

• Infante
    replied
    Number of the Priest:
    I agree, It has aged nicely. That neon red against bright white off the showroom floor could be considered kind of gaudy by today's standards, Nice it happened to mature along with me. ha!
    And yeah, as for posterity, I don't think I'll be doing 6 hours of Schenker bends a day on it from here on out so it should hold up nicely. That stainless will just get shinier and shinier.

I've got to say, It felt really good to get it back so renewed and solid, That initial play after getting it home, as I was putting it up on the wall and realizing how important a part of me it was for quite awhile there, I got a piece of that back now.

Pianoguyy
    Oh, I'm sure there has been a lot of progress in 33 years. I was just contrasting the two I happen to own.
    As for the nut, I have no problem with the lock placement, just wish it was maybe a little more rounded off at the corners there, for me anyway. i might try my hand at filing it a bit at some point.
    Last edited by Infante; 01-11-2021, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pianoguyy
    replied
    The 86 (Kahler) and the 87/88 (JT-6) had different necks.
    And, to be honest, I am not sure the modern Charvel guitars are to be compared to the Model Series. The Model models were "clones" of the Jackson models.

As to the nut - that is on all guitars.
    Most guitars used nuts back then. Then they started with the 'nut lock', which is a nut and lock all in one, as the standard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X