Model 2 on Reverb with "issues"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 on Reverb with "issues"

I thought about posting this in the "Efraid of eBay" but I figure this one has some educational purpose so I'll stick it in this section.

I have no interest in this one but in checking it over it has some issues I have questions about. First off the recessed Floyd and another thing I noted is that the trem spring cover is not recessed. Both of my Model 2's have recessed trem spring covers. Add that to the extra hole in the body behind the volume knob and I'm thinking either aftermarket body or an earlier Model 2 that had the Kahler and someone had more money than brains and swapped it to a recessed Floyd. Either way this one just raises flags with me.

https://reverb.com/item/36694772-cha...on-project-axe

I DELETED EVERYTHING I WROTE BECAUSE YOUR LINK POINTS TO A PAGE THAT DOESN'T DISPLAY

the listing was sold and it displays another unit. I went writing all this stuff, and questioned everything you said, and then... ding ding ding - this isn't the same guitar. lol

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      I DELETED EVERYTHING I WROTE BECAUSE YOUR LINK POINTS TO A PAGE THAT DOESN'T DISPLAY

the listing was sold and it displays another unit. I went writing all this stuff, and questioned everything you said, and then... ding ding ding - this isn't the same guitar. lol
      Hopefully this link works.

https://reverb.com/item/36694772-cha...show_sold=true

Comment

that links works much better.

Comment

I feel sorry for both the guitar and the person that paid that much for it

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
            I feel sorry for both the guitar and the person that paid that much for it
            Hopefully the buyer got a reasonable "best offer" in on it. I literally laughed out loud when it was first listed for almost 700 bucks. I'll give the seller credit where it's due for disclosing the frets and the pickup being left out of it.

Comment

Here's what I had been writing yesterday, but got bored and left, luckily the site saved it for me:

right off the bat - if the buyer paid anywhere near that amount, he overpaid by at least 2x - unless he was specifically looking for a TRS-101 to restore an old Ibanez.
              Speaking of the trem, it doesn't look like it even fits the route, but that could be a camera angle.

a quick google shows that many of the 2s with the kahler did not have a recessed plate. and you can see the screw holes on the headstock for the original nut/lock/cover combo.
              *random thought - are those screw holes where the nut would be, or is that from a retainer?

I am not so concerned with the extra hole in the body (as far as determining if it is an original body). It doesn't look like it is somewhere any designer would place a knob, and you can see the switch in a couple of pictures (random screw in others), so it makes me think it is just someone who wanted to mod their guitar.

Comment

I figured the non recessed spring cover was on the early version with the Kahler. I assume the TRS-101 is true Floyd spaced and if so that means someone had to dowel and redrill for Floyd spacing. It didn't look like it fit the cavity to me either. There was so much bad with it that I agree with you it was way overpriced even at $375.00. Hopefully whoever bought it knew the issues with it going in. If they didn't then that's a major owie.

I figured I'd post it up to show some of the noobs how not to get taken to the cleaners.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                  I assume the TRS-101 is true Floyd spaced and if so that means someone had to dowel and redrill for Floyd spacing.
                  If we look, some of the cavity is red and some is black. And it isn't a "clean" red/black transition. So, IMO, the red cavity is original. The black is what was cut out for the TRS.

Comment

I have a 86' tm kahler model 2, maybe an odd ball but the trem cover is not recessed, but there is no route for a recessed trem, and the kahler trem has a different post spacing then a floyd. the neck has a nut with a kahler string lock. also my strap buttons are not like those, volume knob is also looks different. I think it to be an 86 model 2 but morphed with the bridge and nut from another guitar, so they ruined the neck and hogged out the body.

Comment

Working...
                    X