Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone identify this Charvel Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone identify this Charvel Soloist?

Here are the photos: https://imgur.com/a/l9bLmyM
    The seller is asking for 400€, but it is probably a modl 6 1988 (frtboard is not roswood?)

Thanks!

yes, it's a model 6. that would actually be a 1986 guitar. they changed the kahler to a jt-6 bridge by 1987.

based on the photos, that fingerboard does look like dark rosewood

400 euros is a steal, even with the finish damage.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 11-15-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      yes, it's a model 6. that would actually be a 1986 guitar. they changed the kahler to a jt-6 bridge by 1987.

based on the photos, that fingerboard does look like dark rosewood

400 euros is a steal, even with the finish damage.
      Thank you!

It did indeed look like a very good guitar, but I wasnt sure. I could repair some damage to the finish myself
      Pity about the rosewood though, I don't really like it. Only my CMG and K5 have rosewood now and I would like to upgrade them to the elite versions or USA..

Comment

and take notice - that is not black. it only looks that way in the darker pictures. but if you look at a couple of them, you can see the "purple" in some brighter spots.
        that is called Black Cherry.

Also note the weird saddles on the E strings.

everything else said is correct.
        It is a 1986 Model 6.
        The 86 model year had the Kahler. They were made in 1986 (did production possibly start in 85?) and were made into 1987, but were still considered the 86 model year. The serial on this one states it is from 1986.
        The JT-6 started for the 87 model year. Other changes were - the serial became stamped in fretboard instead of the headstock sticker. The neck became thicker. And the bridge pickup was changed.

Of course, there is no set date that all of these changes happened, as they probably did not start until they ran out of the old parts. But, in general, the changes involved the model year for the Model Series.

Comment

The dark rosewood could be the result of a fresh lube job or some sort of stain. I've taken mine to full on black. But other applications can simply darken.
          the important thing to is that the grain looks good in the images.

*not that ebony is necessarily black, anyhow.

Comment

Thank you very much, guys! I decided to not go ahead with this, I will instead save up for an SL1 or 90-92 Pro Soloist instead.

Comment

Working...
            X