MIM Charvel: Best Year(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM Charvel: Best Year(s)?

I have a 2017 Style 2 San Dimas that's pretty good value. Did some upgrades. Pretty stable neck. I'm looking to pick up another one and a curious which MIM years are best? I have to have the truss adjustment somewhere easy, so for MIM's sake, the wheel is the one, right?

Are the earlier MIMs better or the newer MIMs tend to be better overall quality?

Thanks!

I have a 2019 that I like a bit better than my 2015. It just resonates a little better to my ears. Don't get me wrong I like them both but the Chlorine Burst gets more play time.

Comment

I prefer the neck profile of my 2016. And, for me, you can never go wrong with those neon colors.

But my 2013 is a much better guitar. The sad part - to access the truss rod, you have to take the neck off of the body.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        I prefer the neck profile of my 2016. And, for me, you can never go wrong with those neon colors.

But my 2013 is a much better guitar. The sad part - to access the truss rod, you have to take the neck off of the body.
        I have to say I do love the truss rod adjustment wheel at the heel. Whoever came up with that one needs a raise! I don't notice any difference between the neck profile of my 2019 and 2015.

Comment

do people who care where the truss rod adjustment is located live in northern or desert climates? because I live in the southeast, have played mostly here and up the east coast, and every guitar I own I adjust the truss rod pretty much once upon receiving (if needed), and never again. the necks don't really move down here. guess I'm lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            do people who care where the truss rod adjustment is located live in northern or desert climates?
            the answer is - neither or both.

It isn't the climate you live in. It is the climate you control.
            Temperature changes. Humidity changes. And I would assume even altitude changes (air pressure) - Wood expands and contracts.
            So, regardless of where you live, if your home is temperature controlled, and you have a humidity regulator, AND you never leave the home - you should never need to adjust the truss rod.
            But, if you take your gear from a hot dry stage to a cold car to a warm damp house...

Most people think they have tuning problems. When the truth is, a quarter turn of a truss rod (or trem spring adjustment) will work wonders.

Now, with THAT being said -
            I find that the quality of the guitar make a difference.
            But also, so does how 'precise' your setup is. Just imagine a car engine, with all of it's pulleys and belts and stuff. It all moves in perfect synchronicity. What happens if one of those belts stretches a tad bit? It throws everything off. Guitar is the same way. If you have a 0.009" relief with a 0.0625" action, there really isn't much room to move. Add in a floating tremolo and you can get into a jam fairly easily.

Comment

All good posts, guys!! My 2017 is pretty great. I definitely need the wheel adjustment at the heel, because my necks on all my guitars tend to move a bit here in North Texas. Our weather here is pretty whacky in terms of temp changes. I tend to keep .005 relief in all my necks.

Anywho, I really want another one, but we don't have many here to try out in North Texas/DFW area, so like my 2017, I may buy online without playing one and looking used again.

Comment

Working...
              X