Charvel Schaller Whammy Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Schaller Whammy Replacement

I got a bucket full of whammy bars none of them fit the Schaller trem on my 650 custom /xl. The hole on the trem is too small to accommodate the size of the whammy bar. That's what she said.

I don't have a ruler handy and was hoping someone could shoot me a link to a proper replacement. It's the screw on whammy bar type.

Like this?
    https://m.thomann.de/fi/schaller_fr_...hoCBqsQAvD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by kudogg View Post
      I got a bucket full of whammy bars none of them fit the Schaller trem on my 650 custom /xl. The hole on the trem is too small to accommodate the size of the whammy bar. That's what she said.

I don't have a ruler handy and was hoping someone could shoot me a link to a proper replacement. It's the screw on whammy bar type.

Any guitarist who plans on DIY needs to invest in a caliper. You don't need to get the one with a digital read out. The analog one works just fine. Add the tool to your box of whammy parts.

This way you can measure your "hole" or "shaft" and see what's online that fits.

What she said....

If you find something that at least goes in and is a little loose you can shim the hole with copper or brass sheet by wrapping it around your "screw shaft" just like she said...

Comment

Any guitarist who plans on DIY needs to invest in a caliper. You don't need to get the one with a digital read out. The analog one works just fine.

The reason you buy the digital readout is because:
        Without it, you have to rely on your eyes and estimate the correct size. And when the difference between 0.009" and 0.010" matters, do you want to "estimate" what is correct.

Plus, they can be had for under $20. You may not need the $300 model with laser focus and auto-calibration, but we can afford $8-20.

Comment

if you get a pair of analog calipers, at least get ones with a dial read-out instead of the flat graduations. at some point you'll be glad you don't have to read in between the lines. me, I'm happy with my $100 mitutoyo. I'm no machinist but I don't see a problem with spending a lot of money on tools you expect to use frequently.

Comment

A good man spends good money on good tools.

You'll be surprised how some who should have any caliper don't have one.

There's this online gear dealer who sells vintage parts of famous generic and expensive gear. Asking him for dimensions of some parts he had listed for sale he didn't have dimensions listed as other parts sellers think far enough to do.

The owner of the online store couldn't be bothered to go get a cheap caliper to provide accurate dimensions.

His answer was "the dimensions are (ballpark) X+Y and I don't have a caliper."

Needless to say I couldn't continue to deal with him about those items and he didn't seem to care.

But yeah if eyesight is a problem the dial equipped caliper is better. But even if the analog dial-less version it must be accurate at least.

Comment

I'm generally an analog kinda guy but I'll take a digital caliper readout any day.

Comment

This one fit the Schaller on my Predator like a glove. I tried it on my OFR's and Floyd 1000's and it fit them too.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...emolo-arm.html

Comment

I have this one from Stewmac: Luthier's Digital Caliper | stewmac.com
                  It doesn't feel quite as nice as the Mitutoyo but the guitar specific features and the fractional readout are nice. Plus it's half the price.
                  As to the bar. In my experience the OFR and the Schaller bars are interchangeable. Or replace the whole bar assembly with the Floyd Rose special that was linked would work to.

Comment

Working...
                  X