I've got a bad case of Pro Mod GAS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a bad case of Pro Mod GAS...

I picked up another San Dimas Pro Mod earlier in the week for what I considered a pretty good price. I had fondled a nice used one in metallic black a few weeks ago in a shop in North Carolina but they wanted more than what a new Pro Mod cost for it. Of course then the search was on. I actually stumbled across this one on Facebook. The seller said he bought it new in 2016. Best I can tell it is a 2016 model.

It needed a good cleaning and it's had a fresh setup so I need to update the pictures on it if the weather holds tomorrow. I'm thinking this one will be my last for a while but who knows right now.

If I am not mistaken, the neckplate has the serial number MC16 if it's a 2016 guitar.

2016 was the first year of the Six Pack of Sound circuitry, two controls, blade switch, and the truss rod spoke wheel at the heel, so your guitar is at least from 2016 onwards.

I seem to recall also commenting on an earlier photo post of yours where you showed your trans blue San Dimas. How much are you paying for your Mexican Charvels? I'm now starting to open my mind to them since I'm in the midst of a month-long rental of a 2020 Fender Player Series Stratocaster and have developed some healthy admiration and respect for the products coming out of the Fender Ensenada factory that I would not be opposed to owning an Ensenada-built guitar for the right price, if it can beat the market prices for used Chushin Gakki Jacksons/Charvels in my area.

Comment

Well there you go. I couldn't find a 2015 catalog. Neck plate is MC15... and the dates in the body and neck jive with that too. I was wondering if it could have been a 2015 but where the neck appears to be dated late 2015 I figured it might be an early 2016. Interesting for sure.

I had played a few MIM Strats years ago and liked them. My father in law has two MIM Teles and I liked them too. I basically took a leap of faith on the Chlorine Burst back at Father's Day because I like the neck profile and they really just feel comfortable like my Musikraft Charvel clone neck I bought back in 2006.

I hadn't played with any seriousness since probably 2010. My Chlorine Pro Mod definitely got me back into playing no doubt about it. For the money I spent on it I'm damn well pleased.

Comment

Oh interesting! I might theorize your guitar was made in 2015 as the stamps and neckplate show, and released in 2016. I've seen it happen in the Ibanez owners circles where someone will claim a guitar was made in 1987 based on the serial number but it was "supposed" to be a 1988 guitar based on the unavailability of its finish in 1987 with availability in 1988. The argument was that the guitar had to be made first, and then finally got around to being released to market the following calendar year.

Funny you mention your Six Pack loaded Charvel got you back into playing. Prior to 2016 I went through an acoustic-only phase. Then I browsed Youtube, saw the below video of Jordan Ziff playing that melodic solo, and for the first time in years I opened one of my electric guitar cases with the intention of learning that solo. The date in the video is January 2016 and it is the earliest video demonstrating the Six Pack as part of a refresh of the Mexican Pro-Mod line. 2015 Mexican Pro-Mods superficially (except for the recessed Floyd) looked more like the USA/Japan models with one knob, 3-way toggle, and no truss rod spoke wheel, as seen in this 2015 NAMM video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25sRcdCMLMw

Comment

I concur - a slight deviation of serial year vs model year vs calendar year - is nothing to be concerned with.
          If it was a 14, then I would be worried. But guitars being released (as example) at 2016 NAMM were made in 2015. It is very common to find 'transitional' dates.

*oh, and as far as Ibanez goes. They were notorious for using parts until they ran out. So, you would often get hodgepodge guitars. Where first (or last) year features were combined with another year's features.
          Last edited by pianoguyy; 08-21-2020, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            How much are you paying for your Mexican Charvels?
            I've found the neon years (2016-2018) seem to be going for less than others.
            But, now that I own an "older than 2016", I can tell you that they feel different. I haven't figured out how they are different. I just know that they are.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              *oh, and as far as Ibanez goes. They were notorious for using parts until they ran out. So, you would often get hodgepodge guitars. Where first (or last) year features were combined with another year's features.
              We could say the same for San Dimas neckplates being used on Ontario guitars. And given everything I've heard and read about Leo Fender being economical and utilitarian, he doesn't seem like the type who would let unused parts go to waste either.

Comment

Double Tap
                Last edited by Razor; 09-01-2020, 09:50 PM. Reason: Double tap

Comment

I concur - a slight deviation of serial year vs model year vs calendar year - is nothing to be concerned with.
                  If it was a 14, then I would be worried. But guitars being released (as example) at 2016 NAMM were made in 2015. It is very common to find 'transitional' dates.

I agree and IMHO no different than cars, motorcycles and ATV's where new production is always sometime in the year before. The neck being dated October 19, 2015 kind of solidifies that in my mind. I figured it would be interesting to show the date codes I found on this one.

Also here are a few after set up pictures. This one is being like my Chlorine Burst in that it's taking a little while to get the setup perfect. It's close but not quite there. Plays and feels very good though. This one should be my last for a while. I know famous last words.

I did win a Model 4 auction the other night but I bought it to flip it We'll see how it turns out in another thread.

Comment

That is outright SexyBeautiful!!

HAPPY NGD

Comment

In my area LA/Orange County it looks like the asking prices are $600-800 used. My last two I got for $550 each. The last one I sold I got $625. I've been looking for the neon Pink So Cal or San Dimas for a while now. There's one on Reverb for $800 and it's local pickup only...Texas. Prior to that there was one but the seller was firm on $750 and would not include free shipping.

Comment

Sorry I missed that earlier. My Chlorine Burst was a new scratch and dent that took me two or three days to find the small pen tip sized dent. I got it from American Musical Supply new for $649.99 plus tax which I thought was a steal.

I paid $575.00 shipped for the above metallic black Pro Mod and it came with a hard case so I thought that was a solid fair deal. I've seen a couple below 500 bucks (mostly So Cal's) but they've been snatched up pretty quick.
                        Last edited by Razor; 09-16-2020, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X