Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me Replace Blade w/ 3-Way Toggle Switch on MIM Style 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Replace Blade w/ 3-Way Toggle Switch on MIM Style 2.

Hi Gang,

I want to replace the 3 way blade pickup switch with a 3 way toggle where my tone knob is. I just don't like the placement of my volume knob and the blade selector. Has anyone done something like this?

Or, perhaps I could move the volume to where the tone knob is. I never use the tone knob.

Also, I don't like the friction of the Charvel pots; I like 'looser' feeling pots/knobs.

What say you guys?

But then you would have to put the toggle where your volume is now? There are low friction pots. I often see adverts where people have gotten rid of the volume pot or removed it somewhere and put a plug in the hole.

If you dont mind drilling holes in your guitar then there is no problem just make new holes where you want but that might hurt the resale value.

Comment

Rocco Pezzin (he's a member here) has done what you proposed, for exactly the same reasons, as your second paragraph (moving the volume to where the tone control is) while still preserving the versatility of the factory "six pack of sound" circuit. See the video below.

Comment

Ok, good input. Yes, I've seen Rocco's video before and that's what gave me the idea. My luthier also said that if I wanted to do a 3-way toggle in the tone knob, it would require drilling a bigger hole.

I'm not that worried about resale of a guitar I might get $600 for. It's my only Charvel and guitar with a Floyd. I worry a little bit about the volume being where the tone is because of the whammy bar and I ride my volume knob a lot....that sounded bad.

I will definitely get 1. low friction 500k, and 2. I want a Push-Push knob. It's easier to do on the fly than Push-Pull, IMO.

What would you guys do? Put volume at Tone position or Put a 3-way toggle at Tone position?

Comment

If you're not worried about original locations how about a Free Way?

6 positions.

Different Schematics one for push/pull.

https://www.freewayswitch.com/app/download/7492926815/3X3-03+3PU+2Pot+PP+G.pdf?t=1496837653

Comment

Originally posted by DragonJack View Post
            If you're not worried about original locations how about a Free Way?

6 positions.

Different Schematics one for push/pull.

https://www.freewayswitch.com/app/download/7492926815/3X3-03+3PU+2Pot+PP+G.pdf?t=1496837653

Thanks for the suggestion! ...I had the work done and ended up moving the Volume knob to the Tone knob position and I love it. It works great for me.

Comment

Working...
            X