NGD - Charvel Predator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Charvel Predator

I have wanted a Predator or 3DR for a long damn time. This one came up on eBay with grainy pictures and local pickup only. I messaged the seller and they were very nice to work with. Seeing how the prices have shot up I think $595.00 shipped with a hard case was a fair deal. It wasn't the color I would have preferred but it has grown on me since it arrived.

Stripped her down and gave the body and frets a good clean and polish and cleaned the grime off the Schaller. Set up to E flat with 10's and she's a screamer. I've been so enamored with my new Pro Mod that I'd forgotten somewhat how damn good a J90C sounds. She has a few dents and dings and a very small chip in the back of the pointy but overall for a guitar pushing 30 years old she's in great shape. Neck profile is nearly identical to my Model 2 and very comfortable. This one's definitely a keeper.

Last edited by Razor; 07-19-2020, 10:58 AM.

That looks killer. If there were dents and dings, you wouldn't know it when looking at your pics. As usual, very flattering photos of yet another good-looking, 30 year old guitar.

Using the trem cavity cover plate to keep the trem level when changing strings! That's a new one to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      That looks killer. If there were dents and dings, you wouldn't know it when looking at your pics. As usual, very flattering photos of yet another good-looking, 30 year old guitar.

Using the trem cavity cover plate to keep the trem level when changing strings! That's a new one to me!
      I had gotten the idea years ago after parting out a guitar because I needed the neck. I had seen this tool so I saved a trem cover from the guitar because at the time I was penny pinching. Here's the tool that gave me the idea. It works very well especially when tightening down string lock screws.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...tremblock.html
      Last edited by Razor; 07-19-2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

WoW!!

Nice score!

If you decide you just can't get by the color, feel free to send her on to me.
        In events like this, Sloppy 3rds is fine with me 😆

Enjoy

Comment

nice candy apple (I assume). love it! what neck pickup is that? not a jackson, is it?

has anyone ever done a study to figure which modern aftermarket or oem pickups sound closest to the j-50/80/90?
          Last edited by metalhobo; 07-19-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            nice candy apple (I assume). love it! what neck pickup is that? not a jackson, is it?

has anyone ever done a study to figure which modern aftermarket or oem pickups sound closest to the j-50/80/90?
            I think thats a Jackson J-200R not sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post

I think thats a Jackson J-200R not sure though.
              ah, looks like it could be. thanks, didn't know that existed! learnt something new today.

Comment

I didn't pull the neck pickup but I'd bet money ed is right about it being a J-200R. The only reason I pulled the bridge pickup was to clean and polish under the pickup ring.

Comment

Forgot to ask one thing about a tremolo arm for the Predator.

My two Model 2's have OFR's on them and the Pro Mod and Sully have Floyd Rose 1000's on them. None of the trem arms I have will fit into the Schaller on the Predator. I've tried them all and they all seem to big. They're tight for sure. I haven't tried to force one as I don't want to screw the pooch. I've seen that Dave at Frets on the Net sells Schaller arms but I don't want to buy another arm and have the same problem. Is there a difference in Floyd arms that I've missed somehow? My old ESP Skulls and Snakes had a Schaller and my other trem arms fit it.

Comment

Well, never mind on the trem arms as I looked at it again and the one's I have fit. One is pretty snug but they all fit and the collars screw on it fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X