Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time in a long time for me. NGD - Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 Chlorine Burst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time in a long time for me. NGD - Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 Chlorine Burst

My wife and son gave me my Father's Day present early last night.

I picked this up new from American Musical Supply. It was supposed to be a "scratch and dent" but I can not find the first blemish on it.

It needs a good setup including truss rod, string and pickup height adjustments which I'll do this coming weekend. Feels good in hand and the neck is very comfy. Not too thin and not too thick. Feels a tad lighter than both of my Model 2's.

I haven't had a NGD in quite a few years so I'm pretty stoked about this one.

Beautiful!

Even better looking in these pics than other commercial pics I've seen.

I have No Doubt it plays as good as it looks!

Comment

Great looking top on that!

As time goes on, would love to hear your detailed thoughts and comparisons between your classic Japanese Charvels and this one, especially concerning build quality, fretwork, playability, etc.

Comment

Congrats! Sweet looking Charvel.

Comment

Nice.
          8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Congrats!!! Nice looking Charvel. I too would love hear thoughts on Quality/sound etc on this thing after you've had it for a while. I just picked up a
            Wild Card #4 and a 2010 socal and I can't believe first off how different the neck profiles are on them from each other and 2nd how great they both play and sound.. I've
            steered clear of the MIM models because I've heard conflicting opinions on them.
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Well I've had her for going on a couple of weeks now and I'm still really digging her. Where I haven't played in a while the JB is unforgiving of my sloppy play and missed notes but one thing I've noticed is that I don't have to struggle to get a decent sounding pinch harmonic anymore. I've always had a tough time hitting a decent sounding pinch harmonic or any other harmonic for whatever reasons. Tone wise I'm really liking the guitar. It's on the brighter side of what I normally like my guitar to sound but it does sound good.

It sounds real good even when it's not plugged in. My Jolly Roger Model 2 mutt sounds a tad better plugged or unplugged but I favor that guitar so much there is some bias there. I sold off most of my guitars but kept my Model 2 and Jolly Roger Model 2 mutt. The neck profile is a touch flatter and thinner than my Model 2 and Musikraft necks but still a nice "C" shape that I find comfy. As much as I tried I just didn't care for the thin flat Jackson necks myself.

I pulled the neck to install strap locks and found no shims or anything unusual. Neck pocket is nice and snug but not too tight to risk damaging the finish when removing or installing the neck. Fretwork is on par with my Musikraft neck so I have no complaints there. It most definitely needed a full setup including bridge and trussrod adjustment but that's to be expected.

Honestly I really think the $649.99 I paid for it was a borderline steal. I normally play 10's so setting up the 9's took me longer than I wanted but I've got the strings stretched out pretty good now and am about ready to throw the lock nuts on it. It's been a while since I had to do a full setup on a guitar so that contributed too.

Finish is nice and even and looks real good. I'm a sucker for blue so yeah I'm biased on that too.

All in all the quality and feel is good. Sure it's not a USA but for the money I paid I think it is a helluva lot of guitar and deal. I didn't realize until the other night it had a push/pull volume pot. She's definitely a keeper.

One other thing. Yes the Floyd is what it is. It will get upgraded to an OFR down the road. For now it will have to do and I can live with the lack of sustain and other known issues with them.
              Last edited by Razor; 06-06-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                Congrats!!! Nice looking Charvel. I too would love hear thoughts on Quality/sound etc on this thing after you've had it for a while. I just picked up a
                Wild Card #4 and a 2010 socal and I can't believe first off how different the neck profiles are on them from each other and 2nd how great they both play and sound.. I've
                steered clear of the MIM models because I've heard conflicting opinions on them.
                For the money, they are fantastic.
                For playability (neck profile), I would rather play a Model Series or USA Jackson guitars. But my MIMs are very nice.

I'll be honest, I have other guitars that I use, which means I have been neglecting these, so I can't really tell you how they would hold up to abuse of full time usage. But I find them to be well built.
                I would have no problem taking them out on the road with me if I had a gig that would allow for the regular usage of the neon colors I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                  One other thing. Yes the Floyd is what it is. It will get upgraded to an OFR down the road. For now it will have to do and I can live with the lack of sustain and other known issues with them.
                  that's a 1000 series bridge, right? never had a problem with the three I have, tone-wise nor performance-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                    I didn't realize until the other night it had a push/pull volume pot. She's definitely a keeper.
                    the volume p/p is for coil switching.
                    full bridge - inside coils - full neck
                    outside bridge coil - outside coils - outside neck coil

and if you haven't found it - there is also a no-load tone knob. which, i am less than satisfied with. I simply don't find a "grand" change between the tone all the way up and when it is bypassed. this could be explained by the amount of effects I use, or based on my previous experiences providing false expectations.

Comment

Congrats! That color is perfect.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X